• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Behavour changed after spay

kgattrell

Alpha Buck
Since Ellie had her spay 10 days ago, after she has eaten she now stretches out with her feet behind her. She never did this before her op is this common behavior?

Also she is driving me mad as she is constantly scratching under her shelf in her cage which is very noisy often waking me up, why is she doing this as Fudge doesn't do this at all. She has been worse since the op even scratching inside the play tunnels.

The feet stretching thing shows a very comfortable and safe feeling rabbit, so that's all good :)

Did she have pain meds after her op? I wonder if maybe she started doing it because she was in pain and then carried on because it came a habit.

Alternatively, what size accommodation is she in when she does that, and what sort of stimulation (i.e. toys, etc), does she have at that time?

Hey, yeah she had pain meds which I only just stopped on Friday (metacam)

this is her set up, she has lots of toys which she eats :)

105cker.jpg

Its a nero cage, plus they get free time out of run..

My bun had her spay 2 days ago and has been groggy but today she is great and has been stretching her legs out which i think is because she is content :D In terms of the digging etc i would call that normal behaviour, Ruby has always been noisy throughout the night, and first thing in the morning, she pushes stuff around I call it her 'spring cleaning' lol!

I wouldnt worry too much, the fact she is active and eating is a great sign!

Hope she continues to recover well!:wave:

Rabbits are at the most active at night and in the early hours. Do you lock her in the Nero when go to bed? Does she have access to the run when you are asleep?

No they never get locked in their cages, they both have full access to their runs 24 hours a day and at least an hour out of their bedroom before and after work. Which I'm slowly increasing ready for when they are bonded and can be out at the same time

My rabbit was spayed a few days ago and since then she's started nipping me and digging at my clothes.
I'm putting her behaviour down to her being angry with me for putting her through the operation. Hopefully she'll calm down and start being a nice cuddly bunny again soon :lol:

Scratching and digging is normal behaviour. I don't know why she has started it after her spay, its probably as she is older. Glad she is out all night. Stretching out is a normal relaxed position if she doesn't appear in pain. Is she eating and pooing fine.

Back