• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do you brush your buns?

Danielle84

Mama Doe
Might be a silly question, but i wondered how many people brush their buns?

I know it depends on the breed of bun (maybe lionheads/ long haired need more brushing due to bits getting stuck in their hair)

We haven't really brushed Timmy or Blossom's hair yet, only once when Timmy's was moulting (spelling??)

I have a cashmeer lop who needs brushing daily, twice daily to keep his coat in top condition. He gets all sorts tangled in with him, I am always picking hay and bits of food out of his hair. It matts and felts really easily.

He hates being brushed though! Wriggles and kicks! Its a two person job!

I dont brush Snowdrop or Strawberry as they dont like it and dont really need it.

Yes I do, Jemimah needs brushing daily because she just gets covered in Megazorb every time she goes in the litter tray! Brian, Max, Lola, Lenny I do too because I want to minimise the hair they ingest. Especially during moulting:wave:.

I brush Truffle once or twice a week. For such a fluffter of a bunny she doesn't really get tangled but does need maintaining, especially around her bits. For a short haired bunny Riley is very furry indeed so I have a go at him once in a while, but it tends to be when he's moulting.

Dillon needs his mane brushing, as even though he's got about 100th of the fur that Truffle has, he gets it tangled at every opportunity, hay, megazorb, you name it, it goes in and stays in :roll:

I guess it depends on the type of fur and what the buns get up to :D

Just didn't want to think if i didn't brush them i was neglecting them or something :lol:

Timmy needs a bit of a brush ATM! He's moulting and has a rather fluffy bum! I find brushing a good opportunity to give the buns a really good check over, health-wise. Also, if you can brush to remove the dead fur it minimises the amount ingested by their partner when grooming (which can lead to tummy problems :()

we brush Peaches - she is a lionhead AND has very thick silky hair all over as well so she sheds enough to fill small cushion every week!!! (mmm - now there's a business opportunity!!)

Mine are all short furred. Out of 18, I don't brush 17 of them. If they get awful moults then I gently pluck them. My 18th, Rosie, has incontinence issues and gets matted around her bum, and I brush that out, well, I comb it out, because that is better for her than a bath, and because it only ever goes on the surface, not soaking in, it works really well.

Timmy needs a bit of a brush ATM! He's moulting and has a rather fluffy bum! I find brushing a good opportunity to give the buns a really good check over, health-wise. Also, if you can brush to remove the dead fur it minimises the amount ingested by their partner when grooming (which can lead to tummy problems :()

Ok, we have a bunny brush for sensitive skin so will give him a good brush :D not sure he's going to like it though :lol:

Mine are all short haired. Harley has rex like fur, Jez has short fur and a few tufts of mane, and Flash has fur that's very soft and fluffy, but longer than Harleys.

I brush them at least once a week normally, to keep their coats shiny and knot free. Flash especially needs brushing a lot round his boy parts, as he always licks his fur into a tangled mess. I have to use one of those miniture brushes for eyelashes/eyebrows to do it :lol:

If they're moulting, I either sit for hours and 'pluck' the loose fur or just brush them daily.

If there is a show coming up, I groom Jez and Harley daily, and Flash twice daily.

If they're moulting and there is a show coming up :shock: Well it's just hectic

Oh and I have to brush them a lot more if one of them gets muddy or covered in wee. I like my bunnies clean and smelling fresh, it's awfull when you put on your best top and get two brown foot prints on it :evil::lol:

matthew and tabitha have very dense coats (and in excellent condition, according to the vet this week!). they shed hair all the time, in what seems to me like vast amounts. brushing has little effect as the bristles slide over their silky hair, but stroking or a very gentle pull seems to work well. i probably do this every third day or so.

I used to every week or so, but since I've improved their diet their fur has greatly improved. I used to brush them outside and the garden would be COVERED in fluff! Smudge still needs a bit of brushing but he's less fluffy now he's grown up a bit.

Back