• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Buns in hutches

Julia123

Warren Veteran
Just been reading the indoor/outdoor thread and something came to mind...

Do any of you guys leave your buns in hutches with no run if so what size and for how long? Was just interested as the general concensus is that indoor bunnies get more room :?:?

Jack has a seperate 7x3 run he goes in during the day and a 5x2.5 ft hutch for the evenings and when its bad weather. I personally think he has enough space.. others won't.. he does get garden time when I can be around to supervise.

My outdoor buns have an attached 6ft by 4ft run which they have 24 hr access to. We have refered aggression issues so they cant free range but I do have another big run on the grass that they take it in turns to go in when its nice enough.

My living room on the other hand is 17ft by 11ft which gives much more room without the risks that free ranging outside holds. e.g no predators

Grim used to be in a Thistle Hall hutch with no run. He's a big lop but he seemed happy in there. He was out for 5+ hours every evening but would often go back and sit in his hutch.

I'm not sure what you mean?
Do you mean how long are your buns in a hutch compared with the time they spend in the garden or run?

I have a bun who has access (from an indoor room with hutch) in daylight to a run(6ft x 8ft) which is open and leads into the garden.

She is only locked in when its dark(or dusk)In summertime I would guess she is actually locked in from 10pm till 8am but in winter she woould be locked in from 4pm till 8am, so between 10 and 16 hrs shut in and the rest out(if she choses).

The room itself is 10ft x 8ft so she has more space than just a hutch even when shes shut in.
So I think she has more space and freedom than if she was indoors- but I suppose it depends on the size of your house! Also she loves to graze and couldnt do that indoors.

-sue:wave:

Timmy and Pickle are in a 5ft double tiered hutch, with a 6ft x 5ft run that they have access to all day. Seriously thinking of having them indoors next winter, as when we're home they can free range. They run around like mad things indoors, which I don't see them do so much outdoors.

I'm not sure what you mean?
Do you mean how long are your buns in a hutch compared with the time they spend in the garden or run?

I have a bun who has access (from an indoor room with hutch) in daylight to a run(6ft x 8ft) which is open and leads into the garden.

She is only locked in when its dark(or dusk)In summertime I would guess she is actually locked in from 10pm till 8am but in winter she woould be locked in from 4pm till 8am, so between 10 and 16 hrs shut in and the rest out(if she choses).

The room itself is 10ft x 8ft so she has more space than just a hutch even when shes shut in.
So I think she has more space and freedom than if she was indoors- but I suppose it depends on the size of your house! Also she loves to graze and couldnt do that indoors.

-sue:wave:

Yes thats what I was intrigued about - how long they are shut up and in how much space. Not by any means trying to be offensive to anyone - just interested.

I always feel guilty that my buns might not have enough space as Bungle & Nush in particular always try and make a run for the garden when the door is open! Yet they have a 22 x 4ft set up :? Daisy and Ben on the other hand don't often even go in the run and they have a 17 x 4ft set up

Suppose it depends on the buns so was interested....

I always feel guilty that my buns might not have enough space as Bungle & Nush in particular always try and make a run for the garden when the door is open!

Scamp's always trying to sneak out of the kitchen when you open the gate. But, when he's shut in the lounge for exercise he'll rush to the door if you go through to sneak back to the kitchen. I think they just want to go whereever they think they aren't allowed :lol:

I forgot to add, Jack doesnt do a lot.. he's a sit in hutch bun.. even if given space.

Charlie used to do this when I first got him, a big run and lots of friends later, he runs around like a loon!! :)

My guys get 24 hour access to everything they have (3 buns in 14ftx6ft) (2 buns in 5ftx2ft double hutch and 5ftx6ft run) They have choice to sit in the dry warm or to sit in the hutch run, which is covered with tarp, but not completely dry :( Especially in the weather we have at the minute :(

Last edited:
Scamp's always trying to sneak out of the kitchen when you open the gate. But, when he's shut in the lounge for exercise he'll rush to the door if you go through to sneak back to the kitchen. I think they just want to go whereever they think they aren't allowed :lol:

Definitely - a closed door is just another challenge to a bunny! :roll::lol:

Yes thats what I was intrigued about - how long they are shut up and in how much space. Not by any means trying to be offensive to anyone - just interested.

I always feel guilty that my buns might not have enough space as Bungle & Nush in particular always try and make a run for the garden when the door is open! Yet they have a 22 x 4ft set up :? Daisy and Ben on the other hand don't often even go in the run and they have a 17 x 4ft set up

Suppose it depends on the buns so was interested....

I'm exactly the same.
My buns have the same amount of space as yours do, and I sometimes feel like that is too small :oops:

Agree with this - Cassie and Oakley are always trying to sneak somewhere they arent supposed to be:lol:

Back