• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Wet Feet

CHH

Warren Scout
Our Sandy doesn't seem to look after his back feet very well. They're almost always wet. Short of keeping him indoors most of the time is there much we can do? Other than that he cleans himself normally.

Our other three rabbits have dry back feet.

I've just picked him up and had a sniff and they are a bit wiffy right enough!

He's a big lad and produces a fair sized puddle! It could be that his feet are getting in the way. There's no dampness around their run and his partner Sooty has dry feet.

I'll keep him indoors all day tomorrow and see what happens. In the meantime would it be worth wetting his feet with clean water to make sure there's no pee on him?

I'm wondering if he needs a vet check because it could be a bladder issue or a mobility issue, or something else. Rabbits are generally very clean animals.

Has he always been like this or is it a new thing? Has his water consumption increased?

He's always had slightly dirty feet, particularly on the outside edge. However, they're worse than normal just now. He's due his jabs at the end of December so I might bring that forward and take him next week.

Other than that he cleans himself normally.

I don't think mobility is the problem. He's about 2 and moves about without difficulty.

is his underneath wet aswell? could be bladder problem related.

if he sits in his litter tray he may get wet feet from that. although, they are clean animals and will usually clean themselves well.

if it is all the time it could be from a bladder problem. i would see a vet.

Is he litter trained...I use wood pellets they absorb the urine and turn to mush...would that help?

He's pretty good. If he doesn't use the tray he just pees in the hay! As mentioned above the bunny he lives with has dry feet so there's no excess liquid sitting around.

I would definitely get him checked. Preferably Monday unless he goes downhill, and then its a case for the emergency vets.

He's been in all day and his feet are bone dry so it doesn't look like he's peeing on them. I'll pop him along to the vet for a check up tomorrow anyway.

He's been in all day and his feet are bone dry so it doesn't look like he's peeing on them. I'll pop him along to the vet for a check up tomorrow anyway.

When he is indoors what does in he wee in/on compared to outdoors? I know if my buns wee on the concrete outdoors they get wet feet, when indoors mine have a litter tray with cat litter in (pressed wooden stuff) so this absorbs the wee and they don't get wet feet.

He tends to just pee in the hay although he does use the litter tray as well. As mentioned previously the bun he lives with has dry feet so I don't think it's anything to do with excess liquid lying around.

Our other pair also live in the same type of set up and they both have dry feet too.

He's fine. The big lump's just rubbish at looking after his back feet!

They were bone dry when I took him to the vet this morning and they must have thought I was mad :lol:

Back