PDA

View Full Version : permission for an aviary?

biscandmatt1
21-11-2009, 03:56 PM
do you have to have permission from the council or neighbours etc before putting up an aviary? or is it just if it over a certain size?

we only have a small garden but i saw a fox hanging around and now when it comes to summer i will be panicking even more about letting them out. even though i never leave them alone outside, what could i realistically do if a fox jumped over???

anyway, the aviary would be over most of the garden and will be 6ft high. i don't know what size yet though.

we only have one neighbour so they would see it from their bedroom window. no-one else would see it. the neighbours have never spoken to us, or us them, and they aren't even in that much.

everyone says just put the aviary up and don't bother asking anyone. what do you think?

we are in a rented house but the aviary will be fixed to the floor, not the house. it will only be a simple one, they won't even be left unsupervised in the aviary, it is more an extra protection if something did jump in. :wave:

biscandmatt1
21-11-2009, 05:01 PM
also, can anyone recommend somewhere to get aviary panels? they don't have to be the best quality really.

has anyone ever made one themselves? are they easy to make?

also, any pics of aviaries against a house would be great. :wave:

Tamsin
21-11-2009, 05:04 PM
Give your local council a call and they'll be able to tell you what the planning guidelines are. There are usually rules about height, floor area and distance from boundaries but it would probably have to be quite a large aviary to need planning permission.

biscandmatt1
21-11-2009, 05:21 PM
Give your local council a call and they'll be able to tell you what the planning guidelines are. There are usually rules about height, floor area and distance from boundaries but it would probably have to be quite a large aviary to need planning permission.

i kind of want to just put it up! :oops: because if i ask the council and then the neighbours and they say no i won't know what to do!

it won't be massive, definitely 6ft high though. it won't be directly next to the neighbours fence either because i need to leave a 'walkway' to get down to the shed.

Tamsin
21-11-2009, 05:56 PM
You don't have to tell the council who you are or what exactly you are planning just ask what the rules are. It's probably on the council website if you look :)

biscandmatt1
21-11-2009, 05:59 PM
You don't have to tell the council who you are or what exactly you are planning just ask what the rules are. It's probably on the council website if you look :)

just had a look and can't find anything! probably just me being blind....but rochdale council website awful anyway! :roll:

w1lll
21-11-2009, 06:06 PM
Found this:

Building regulation - exempt work
Not all work requires Building Regulation approval, however please be aware Planning Permission may still be required.

Buildings and work exempt from Building Regulations are:
•Porches used as entrance area less than 30 m2 floor area separated from the remainder of the house by a standard external door.
•Conservatories at ground floor level less than 30m2 floor area with transparent roof and over 50% of the walls glazed, separated from the remainder of the house by external doors. (Approval may be required for installation of new doors into the conservatory from the house)
•Detached garages and single storey buildings less than 30m2 floor area at least 1 metre away from the boundary or constructed from non-combustible material.
•Detached buildings that do not exceed 15 m2 floor area which contain no sleeping accommodation. (eg. a typical garden shed)
•Car ports open on two sides less than 30m2 floor area.
•Garden walls and fences
•Replacement windows in a house installed by a FENSA, BSI or CERTASS registered installer.
Other detached buildings and work, being

•Controlled under other legislation, such as Explosive or Nuclear or Archaeological Acts.
•Places that people go infrequently to maintain equipment, providing that they are isolated.
•Agricultural buildings, providing they are not close to sleeping accommodation and have sufficient fire exits.
•Temporary for less that 28 days.
•Site cabins for construction sites providing they do not provide sleeping accommodation.
•Used for mines or quarries, providing they are not offices, dwellings or showrooms.
•Certain minor electrical work. - please see the page electrical safety for further information.
Even though the construction of these buildings does not require approval, certain work undertaken to them may require approval such as electrical or drainage work.

but couldn't find anything on planning permission.

Tamsin
21-11-2009, 06:10 PM
This is probably a good place to start, it's the general england planning rules: http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/england/public/buildingwork/projects/workcommonoutbuildings/

KarenM
21-11-2009, 06:12 PM
I haven't had time to read it all (too many long words :lol:) but it looks as though outbuildings don't require planning permission as long as they're within certain limits. http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/england/public/buildingwork/projects/workcommonoutbuildings/

KarenM
21-11-2009, 06:13 PM
This is probably a good place to start, it's the general england planning rules: http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/england/public/buildingwork/projects/workcommonoutbuildings/

Snap. :lol::lol::lol:

VickiP
21-11-2009, 06:14 PM
:wave: I don't think you do, I would go for it and deal with whatever if they want to waste time and money challenging you-I am sure as said before it would have to be massive to cause any probs - you certainly don't need permission for sheds I think the height would be the main issue. Go for it :D

SisterMoonbeam
21-11-2009, 06:14 PM
Look up cms_animal housing (i think that is his name) on ebay.

His name is Chris (can give you his mobile number if you like). I got a 5x6x6 ft half boarded aviary for Ł230 including delivery.

I just found one of his listings and emailed him asking if he would make one to my specs (with the boarding) and he did and its fab! Great quality and very sturdy. The only issue is that it comes flatpacked but he provides all the screws and hinges and bolts for the door. I would definitely recommend him. It is *almost* finished so i will post a piccy when it is done. :)

biscandmatt1
21-11-2009, 06:16 PM
thanks everyone :wave: will read up in a min when i have done matts nebuliser!

looking forward to pics sistermoonbeam! :D

Stator
21-11-2009, 06:32 PM
From what you've said the main concern would be that you plan to put one over your entire garden, you may have to limit the footprint so that it's within the percentage rules. Height shouldn't be an issue as 6ft is under 2meters.

angeleyes
21-11-2009, 06:35 PM
I just put mine up, didn't ask anyone oops! ITs 6x12 ft with a 6x8 shed on either end and all 6ft high, got the panels from ebay :D

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m265/pink_crazee/Photo-0512-1.jpg

biscandmatt1
21-11-2009, 06:49 PM
I just put mine up, didn't ask anyone oops! ITs 6x12 ft with a 6x8 shed on either end and all 6ft high, got the panels from ebay :D

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m265/pink_crazee/Photo-0512-1.jpg

that looks great! :D

Jack-Bun
21-11-2009, 06:58 PM
We've got a 16ft in our garden and didn't ask permission or anything :) x

biscandmatt1
21-11-2009, 08:08 PM
just been trying to work out the size...and i think it will be about 10ft x 12ft. there is a small 6 x 4 shed that will be at the back of it, so that part of the garden won't be covered. the garden has a wall round but it curves....so the aviary will be over the garden where it will fit in a rectangle. does that make sense? so it won't be the whole garden, but certainly 3/4 of it.

i think i will just put it up and hope the neighbours don't complain. no-one should tell the estate agents because it won't be visible to any other neighbours anyway.

just got to save up now! hopefully it will be done about march time.

i'm going to pain it in a nice pale green colour aswell.... so hopefully it won't look too bad for next door. this colour - http://www.cuprinol.co.uk/products/garden_shades_overview.jsp the willow colour. might paint the fence aswell to match.

:)

bluebunny
21-11-2009, 08:31 PM
Ive just put one up in my garden next to a 10ft x 6ft shed they have a 10ft x 6ft run now
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f48/madstaff/100_0372.jpg

Rhian33
21-11-2009, 08:33 PM
Lovely set-ups everyone :wave:

I think you will be fine with what you are planning. Afterall, an aviary is just a tall rabbit run.

biscandmatt1
21-11-2009, 08:59 PM
Ive just put one up in my garden next to a 10ft x 6ft shed they have a 10ft x 6ft run now
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f48/madstaff/100_0372.jpg

looks great! :D

biscandmatt1
21-11-2009, 09:01 PM
think i will just go for it! i will never beable to relax with them outside after seeing that fox on the other side of the wall. i know foxes are around all day and night anyway, but an aviary would give me time to get them inside if it did happen to jump over. i know these things are one in a million...but still, someone has to be that one don't they. and i can't take the risk.

i'm excited now! :D means i can relax when the buns are out, and the piggies will be in their run inside the aviary anyway. will be great! :D

anymore pics of peoples aviaries would be great!!! :D

Rhian33
21-11-2009, 09:04 PM
think i will just go for it! i will never beable to relax with them outside after seeing that fox on the other side of the wall. i know foxes are around all day and night anyway, but an aviary would give me time to get them inside if it did happen to jump over. i know these things are one in a million...but still, someone has to be that one don't they. and i can't take the risk.

i'm excited now! :D means i can relax when the buns are out, and the piggies will be in their run inside the aviary anyway. will be great! :D

anymore pics of peoples aviaries would be great!!! :D

Yay! Thread for my kennel http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=202944

biscandmatt1
21-11-2009, 09:09 PM
Yay! Thread for my kennel http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=202944

that is fantastic. i bet the buns love it!

mine are indoors and are still getting an aviary! :oops::lol: they only go out in the summer aswell! ah well...! :lol:

Rhian33
21-11-2009, 09:21 PM
that is fantastic. i bet the buns love it!

mine are indoors and are still getting an aviary! :oops::lol: they only go out in the summer aswell! ah well...! :lol:

They do. I love it too. Thought it may be an option for you as It's 5ft 2" at the tallest point. I'm 5ft 10 and the OH 6ft 1" and we are finding access ok. It may be a little more accepatable to your neighbours being a little shorter.

biscandmatt1
21-11-2009, 09:26 PM
They do. I love it too. Thought it may be an option for you as It's 5ft 2" at the tallest point. I'm 5ft 10 and the OH 6ft 1" and we are finding access ok. It may be a little more accepatable to your neighbours being a little shorter.

i did think about having it less than 6ft because i'm only 5ft 1 so would be fine for me! bf is 6ft 1 though!

i think it might be attaching to the front of the shed and that is 6ft so i could make it slightly less than that. (it's the landlady's shed and we can't move it...even though it is manky and rotten!)

lottielouise
21-11-2009, 09:41 PM
Somepeople have things like this (http://www.bengalcatforums.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7422&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15) (post by theclemsters, about half way down. Not sure if it bunny/fox proof, but if it is bengal proof, there is defiantely strangth in the mesh

biscandmatt1
21-11-2009, 09:44 PM
Somepeople have things like this (http://www.bengalcatforums.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7422&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15) (post by theclemsters, about half way down. Not sure if it bunny/fox proof, but if it is bengal proof, there is defiantely strangth in the mesh

silly question....but what is that called??? :oops: it isn't an aviary is it? because it is just metal poles with mesh attached. good idea though.

janice
21-11-2009, 09:57 PM
It looks like a fruit cage.

biscandmatt1
21-11-2009, 10:36 PM
It looks like a fruit cage.

never heard of them! :oops:

georgie_f
23-11-2009, 05:43 PM
Hiya, just thought I'd add that I keep birds in avairys and I've never had to apply for planning permssion for them. The largest I've had was 9ftX15ft and a good 8ft high. We had a 2 acre garden at that point though so it was hardly noticeable although it was huge! :lol:

I would suggest going and talking to the neighbours though. Don't ask they're permission, just tell them politely you ARE doing it. It's best to say something and be friendly about it otherwise, if they decide they don't like it, they may go straight to the council and complain. Hopefully if you've spoken to them about it and they don't like it, they will talk to you about it and you can come to a solution ie - maybe grow a pretty creeping plant over the top so they can't see it so much. Getting friendly with the neighbours also has the added bonus that they may well warn you if they see the fox around and they might even keep an eye out for your bunnies whilst you're not there. :)

biscandmatt1
28-11-2009, 03:09 AM
Hiya, just thought I'd add that I keep birds in avairys and I've never had to apply for planning permssion for them. The largest I've had was 9ftX15ft and a good 8ft high. We had a 2 acre garden at that point though so it was hardly noticeable although it was huge! :lol:

I would suggest going and talking to the neighbours though. Don't ask they're permission, just tell them politely you ARE doing it. It's best to say something and be friendly about it otherwise, if they decide they don't like it, they may go straight to the council and complain. Hopefully if you've spoken to them about it and they don't like it, they will talk to you about it and you can come to a solution ie - maybe grow a pretty creeping plant over the top so they can't see it so much. Getting friendly with the neighbours also has the added bonus that they may well warn you if they see the fox around and they might even keep an eye out for your bunnies whilst you're not there. :)

i want a 2 acre garden! no fair!!! :evil: :D