• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I need some help!!

dayle_x

Mama Doe
This morning my 3 rabbits in the garage, Pixie, Phoenix and Tallulah were all laid in a pile of diarrhoea. Rushed them all to the vets, tallulah had to be put to sleep:cry:, and Pixie & Phoenix got an antibiotic, pain killer, steriod and gut stimulant injection and told to come back tomorrow, keep them warm, try get them to eat some critical care. Pixie is acting normal, eating critical care and had a bit of banana but no hay/pellets. Phoenix won't eat anything.
Is it because the injections haven't kicked in yet? He had them about an hour and a half ago.
They are in the house now.
What else can i do? Please help :(

My uncle decided to tell me when i got home, oh by the way there is poison in the concrete of the garage, so if they lick it they could get poison. Despite me asking if they were safe to go in there about a year ago before i let them free range. I am sooo angry at him :censored:

This morning my 3 rabbits in the garage, Pixie, Phoenix and Tallulah were all laid in a pile of diarrhoea. Rushed them all to the vets, tallulah had to be put to sleep:cry:, and Pixie & Phoenix got an antibiotic, pain killer, steriod and gut stimulant injection and told to come back tomorrow, keep them warm, try get them to eat some critical care. Pixie is acting normal, eating critical care and had a bit of banana but no hay/pellets. Phoenix won't eat anything.
Is it because the injections haven't kicked in yet? He had them about an hour and a half ago.
They are in the house now.
What else can i do? Please help :(

My uncle decided to tell me when i got home, oh by the way there is poison in the concrete of the garage, so if they lick it they could get poison. Despite me asking if they were safe to go in there about a year ago before i let them free range. I am sooo angry at him :censored:

:( OMG your poor thing, let's hope it wasn't them licking the concrete, I am so sorry for you and hope the others will be OK it sounds like your doing all you can. What did your vet say - that it looked like poisoning?

How horrible, I'm really sorry.

Are the sure the diarrhoea is coming from all of them? I would be questioning whether maybe the vets should have kept them in if they think it is poisoning. I would also be thinking hydration is probably the most important thing for them right now to replace the fluids they have lost. You can syringe cooled boiled water, or dioralyte (following the baby instructions on it), and also try and tempt them with a variety of other liquids too.

How are they acting other than not eating?

Oh poor you, am really sorry :( As for the other two, all you can do is keep an eye on them and take back to vets if they're still not eating, or give them some syringe feed xx

Yes they said it looks like poisoning. Pixie is covered in poo, but is acting perfectly normal, snuggling up to Phoenix. Phoenix is very clean so don't know if he has had diarrhoea. He is just sat asleep in his carry case. Haven't seen them do any poo's since i got them home.
Is it worth trying to sryinge some water into them?

Did they have any hydration at the vets? Like Sub-Q fluids?

If not, then yes, I would syringe something if it is not stressful for them. What did the vet suggest for the poisoning? Also, have you been given anything like Fibreplex to help their guts settle?

I doubt it would be from licking concrete if it was part of the building (I guess a bag of powdered concrete might be different though?)

My first thought would be coccidiosis if more than one rabbit is affected.

Have you had any new rabbits arrive recently?

Did they have any hydration at the vets? Like Sub-Q fluids?

If not, then yes, I would syringe something if it is not stressful for them. What did the vet suggest for the poisoning? Also, have you been given anything like Fibreplex to help their guts settle?

Nope no sub-q fluids. I'll try sryinge some. The vet just said to try get them well again, and to eat and poo. Haven't had any fibreplex, just got some oxbow critical care but she gave them a gut stimulant injection

I doubt it would be from licking concrete if it was part of the building (I guess a bag of powdered concrete might be different though?)

My first thought would be coccidiosis if more than one rabbit is affected.

Have you had any new rabbits arrive recently?

Yes had a new bun but she has had no contact with them. What is coccidiosis?

I'm not sure your vets sounds wonderfully good at treating rabbits to be honest, is there anywhere else they could be taken, that know rabbits more?

I'm not sure your vets sounds wonderfully good at treating rabbits to be honest, is there anywhere else they could be taken, that know rabbits more?

Not sure, have always used this vets and they have been ok. i would imagine other vets would be shut now apart from emergency vets who i've had very bad experiences with taking rabbits there

Will have a read of those. Only think i use the same is using the same poop scooper.

Pixie and Phe have both had some water now and Phe has eaten 3 fenugreek crunchies but turns his nose up at anything else.

Will have a read of those. Only think i use the same is using the same poop scooper.

Pixie and Phe have both had some water now and Phe has eaten 3 fenugreek crunchies but turns his nose up at anything else.

Good luck Dayle hope they will be alright p/s where do you get the fenugreek crunchies from?

I got them from pets@home before they stopped selling them, think you can still get them online tho

Thanks I keep looking in P@H and the local pet shop (no small furries sold there) but, can't find them? Will google them, hope your buns pick up x

Just an update - Pixie and Phe have eaten some spring greens, had some water and hay. Neither of them want their pellets though. They seem much brighter but still no wee's or poo's :/

Just an update - Pixie and Phe have eaten some spring greens, had some water and hay. Neither of them want their pellets though. They seem much brighter but still no wee's or poo's :/

Thats progress, fingers crossed for you - lots of wee wee and poop vibes now :lol:x

Back