• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Starting to panic about Christmas already!!/ worse than I thought p13

Hugo's There

Wise Old Thumper
Christmas falls on a friday this year, which means boxing day is saturday and Monday is a bank holiday.

Therefore the vets will be shut for 4 days in a row :shock::shock::shock::shock:

How will we cope??????? I am already having visions of rushing buns miles for emergency treatment inbetween opening presents and my credit cards going into melt down at the cost :(:(:(

Last edited:
oh no i never even thought about it :shock::shock:

and ste will be away too.. i feel panic rising too :cry::cry::cry:

i wonder if its neglect if i dont go into the bunny room for the whole 4 days... what you dont see aint so right :?:lol::lol::lol:

i could send the dog in with supplies too :lol::lol::lol:

Aww, thats a brill idea, actually, why not just lock the dog in there with them? Give the rabbits the dog food so they can feed him and give the dog the rabbit food so he will feed them.... see, theres no need for us to be there really is there?? Hows about looking after someones guineapigs this Christmas too.... you could put them in with the rabbits, they always look so cute together!!

(please note the SARCASM in my typing, lol!!)

I hate Christmas generally. I lost my best bun on 27th Dec 2005, at the emergency vets and the whole period fills me with dread. It's such a relief when it's all passed.

Having said that, we can't do anything about it other than make sure they are as healthy as possible (which we all do anyway), and whatever happens, happens. Nothing may happen, and the stress of worrying it might may ruin Christmas, so try to just not look too far ahead, just take each moment as it comes and deal with that.

Realistically, the Monday (28th) is the bank holiday this year. Shops should be open as usual on the Saturday(26th), but they will probably all shut up for the long weekend. Can't really blame them but it isn't very considerate!

Realistically, the Monday (28th) is the bank holiday this year. Shops should be open as usual on the Saturday(26th), but they will probably all shut up for the long weekend. Can't really blame them but it isn't very considerate!

The vets wont be open saturday as it is boxing day and monday is an extra bank holiday because of it falling on a saturday. I am sure DFS and similar will be open saturday and monday, but that isn't going to help poorly bunnies :lol::lol: Although maybe they would feel better if they had a new sofa to lie on :lol:

i never thought about it really, but now you mention it that is a long time and a little worrying.

The vets wont be open saturday as it is boxing day and monday is an extra bank holiday because of it falling on a saturday. I am sure DFS and similar will be open saturday and monday, but that isn't going to help poorly bunnies :lol::lol: Although maybe they would feel better if they had a new sofa to lie on :lol:

Yeah, bribe them with furniture lol!

Seriously though, as you have a good relationship with your vets i'd go down there for a chat and have a "plan of action" - they obviously know that you have lots of sick bunnies and a high risk of emergencies at any time. You might find that at least then they might reduce the cost, and it'll ease your mind a little that you know for certain what to do...

(or just employ me as your Christmas vet elf, i'll bring my stethoscope and BSAVA rabbit medicine manual.....:lol:)

That's why I love our vets, they are open every day apart from Xmas day, they dont use out of hours vet services either, its always one of their own vets and they are available xmas day for emergencies. There has been many a time I have met a vet outisde the surgery at 3am in the morning and it's nice to have a friendly face that knows you and your animals at that time of the morning and that can access your records.
We use them for the business too and I can praise them enough

Yeah, bribe them with furniture lol!

Seriously though, as you have a good relationship with your vets i'd go down there for a chat and have a "plan of action" - they obviously know that you have lots of sick bunnies and a high risk of emergencies at any time. You might find that at least then they might reduce the cost, and it'll ease your mind a little that you know for certain what to do...

(or just employ me as your Christmas vet elf, i'll bring my stethoscope and BSAVA rabbit medicine manual.....:lol:)

I would if I could but we have to use a different emergency service an hours drive away as ours don't have one :(

I have a stethoscope and the BSAVA rabbit medicine manual too, but I only use it to listen to my indigestion and the book to look at the pictures :lol::lol:

our vets isn't open on bank holidays like christmas but i know one in bury near us which is open all year around, for pet A&E

:lol: I'm going away for a week - I have 3 different sets of people in charge of my lot .... if Tilly still needs meds by then I have 2 bunny-savvy people who can administer so that's a relief .......... will still worry/miss them tho! x

Back