• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

baby rabbits

i-love-bunnies

Warren Scout
hello i am new to this forum and i have a question. My rabbit is currently caring for a four week old litter of kits and last night gave birth to 2 more babies. What happens to these two if she is still suckling her first litter?
I have had the male castrated.

Is the male still living with them? If he is and was neutered within the past 6-8 weeks then you may be facing yet another litter in 4 weeks time because does are most receptive to breeding and mating in the first 72 hours after giving birth.

How is mum with the older litter? It is very likely she may reject them and drive them out because her instincts will be to look after the younger ones.

Do you have somewhere to put the older babies if that happens? Ideally they all need to stay together until they are 8 weeks old because they could potentially be leaving mum very early.

Is there any way you can find another breeder with a litter and ask if they can foster the younger (or older ones) to take pressure off the mum?

The male shouldn't be with the doe untill at least 6 weeks after mating as he can still be fertile. And he certainly shouldn't be with her now if she has babies.

do you actuallly put you rrabbits in competition , if so where at ?

- cadberry

There are two types of competition, shows and jumping. A lot of people on here don't agree with shows, but if you want more info feel free to pm me :) There is a jumping link in my signiture

There are two competitions arranged for next year and both are in West Yorkshire. There is also a display in North Yorkshire planned.

Hi:wave:I am NOT a breeder but have friends who are and will try to answer your questions:)How many babies are there in the first litter:?
If the litter is not too big the mum will be able to cope with her new babies but the older ones will push the new babies out of the way at feeding time so they may not get enough milk:cry:(Mum will only feed once a day for a few mins and usually first thing in the morning or sometimes late at night and you will probably never see her do this)
The problem is that the new babies may not get enough milk so will not flourish:cry:could you take the older ones out to a seperate hutch and put them back for feeding after the new ones have been fed? you will know when they have been fed as they will have fat round tummies:)the older babies will then be able to be fed :)
If it is a big litter it maight be better to try to find a foster mum or bottle feed the older litter:)

think i'm going to put the older litter in a hutch temporarily and let them out for feeding and let the new babies have the best start they can x x thanks for the advice

think i'm going to put the older litter in a hutch temporarily and let them out for feeding and let the new babies have the best start they can x x thanks for the advice

You will have to work out when mum is feeding the younger litter to do this, so that you feed the older ones 12 hours apart from that (they typically feed at dawn and dusk).

Also her milk will not be ideal for the older litter because it will probably become the super rich type for the newborns, and mum will know this so you will have to watch mum to ensure that she doesn't try and attack the older litter.

Is dad separated from mum and the babies?

I wouldn't seperate them at this age, it would be way too stressfull and they still like to snuggle in their baby nest. It will be hard to take the rabbits out anyway for feeding, as rabbits usually only feed once or twice a day when it's dark.

hello i am new to this forum and i have a question. My rabbit is currently caring for a four week old litter of kits and last night gave birth to 2 more babies. What happens to these two if she is still suckling her first litter?
I have had the male castrated.

the older ones will be fine without mum at 4 weeks as at this age they will be eating what mum eats as they will be weaning
i would take them out put a bottle of goats milk on he cage as well as water and plenty of food :D
this has happened to me before and its fine to do that

Back