• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Seperating for dental?

Loosy

Warren Veteran
Sooo, Pipkin has to have a dental under anasthetic on Monday and I'm unsure as to what I should do with Ruby while he's having it done. I obviously don't want them to fall out if Pip comes home smelling like the vet...
The vet said it would be fine for me to take her along too, but I don't know whether it would be a good idea if he's going to be a bit groggy after the anaesthetic. I don't want her to hurt him.

Also, should I keep him inside overnight? I'd keep whatever room he stayed in as cool as possible but would the temperature difference from outside be a problem? Last time he had an op (castration) was in summer so he fine to come in but I'm not sure this time...

Def send them together, it will speed up his recovery to have her with him at the vets.
At my vets the healthy bun is put into the recovery unit with the bun thats had the procedure as soon as he/she are moved from the op table.

:wave:

Keep them both in overnight but in a room that isn't too warm and is draught free for them. So long as he is back to his old self the next day they can go back out.

At our vets he boys are together during the wait for the dental (we have to sort of 'check them in' first thing in the morning, and the dental isn't until late afternoon, so it's the kindest thing to do) but seperated while they come round.

Yes I agree take them both :) The less time they are apart, the less likely it is to disrupt their bond, and the other bun will also be used to the 'unusual' smell of the vets so that is less likely to upset them too.

It is important that they are inside the night after the op - the reason being that the GA affects the rabbit's ability to regulate its own body temperature so at this time of year in particular it is likely to get incredibly cold after surgery if it is outside. I would go for a room that is neither warm nor cold and out of drafts. The temperature difference overnight isn't going to make them lose their winter coat that quickly. Assuming the bun is ok in the morning, I would acclimatise them again e.g. by turning the radiator off, opening a window etc then put them back outside with lots of cosy bedding.

Good luck xx

Thanks for all your replies!
Think I will definitely take Ruby and then keep them inside, then.
I'm just really nervous and don't want anything to go wrong :oops:

I completely agree that keeping them together is best, as is keeping him in overnight.

Dentals are scary (same as any operation), but hopefully it will go smoothly and he will bounce back quickly.

I completely agree that keeping them together is best, as is keeping him in overnight.

Dentals are scary (same as any operation), but hopefully it will go smoothly and he will bounce back quickly.

Thanks!
I'm sure he'll be alright really, but things like this involving my animals I tend to get pretty paranoid about :oops: I can't seem to help it, lol

Back