• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I'm new and would like to rescue a rabbit

LauraNI

New Kit
Hello. I'm in County Down, Northern Ireland and would like to rescue a giant rabbit. I've been looking for quite some time - and have the option of getting a 'new' rabbit - but I'd prefer to rescue one which needs a loving home.

I am not very good at using this site - but I think I've managed to email the administrator to ask for help.....

It's a HOUSE rabbit I'd like, one which will enjoy a lot of handling and affection. I've been looking at the all rabbits on this site but I can't find any in Northern Ireland. Even if there's one in the south of Ireland, I could drive down for it?

I have been to Assisi (the NI animal rescue centre) and they had small rabbits in pairs - but I've been told that if I want my rabbit to be really affectionate and loving, it's better that he/she comes alone. I also have my heart set on an enormous rabbit.... something I can cuddle a lot!

Would be grateful for advice.

thanks
Laura

Hi Laura!

Firstly, I think it's great that you're willing to rehome an unwanted bunny! :love:

I don't know of any rescue centres over your way, I'm right down on the Isle of Wight and to be honest, most things that go on over in the rest of the country go right over my head (much like everyone else here!! :lol: ).

Have you asked your local rehoming centres if they can keep your details and contact you if a suitable bunny comes in? Giant bunnies do make good house rabbits too as they have lots of room to run around in and they're less likely to trip you up and get in places they shouldn't! I bet the rehoming centre will be falling over themselves to rehome a rabbit with you as it sounds like they'll be getting an ideal home. :) (don't forget to make it bunny proof before hand though!).

Most rehoming centres do try and rehome rabbits in pairs, normally a male and female, both neutered. Keeping them in a pair won't make them any less friendly. I used to keep my rabbits singly but when I'd saved up enough I got all 6 neutered and put them into pairs. I think they all seem much more cheerful and it's a joy to see them interacting and snuggling up with each other. One bunny may become bored. I'm sure yours will get lots of fuss but there will undoubtably be times when it will get left home on its own, even just at night time when you're asleep. Also, a lot of bunnies aren't all that cuddly, I don't think I've ever had a rabbit that's actually enjoyed being picked up (although I did have one that would jump on my lap everytime I bent down! He was an absolute star - one in a million - and I don't expect to ever find a bunny quite like him again). Guinea pigs, ratty things and cats are best for cuddles. :) Not trying to put you off at all, just don't want you to be disapointed if it hops off as soon as you pick it up! :lol:

I really hope you find your perfect bun! :love:

:wave: Hi Laura, hope you find a special little bun to give a good home too and enjoy the forum :D

Thanks for the welcome

Hello again

thanks very much for the replies. I had a really helpful message from Tamsin - and now I'm thinking hard about getting two bunnies instead of one!

Bought a book today and will be reading it over the weekend. Want to make sure I'm the best bunny-mummy ever!

Will keep you all posted as and when I get someone to live in the ENORMOUS state-of-the-art hutch my Dad has built! Honestly, it would house a person, never mind a rabbit!

More from me soon - and thanks again,
Laura :)

Aww!!
Kris (Starlight's Rabbit Rescue) has two Conti's for rehoming.
Such ashame you're in Ireland!!

Hi Laura,

I don't know how I managed to miss your post the first time round!

I hope you have had a good day with Jasper and Chewie! They are very lucky to have found such a wonderful home!

Hurry up and post some pics of the boys in their new home! :lol::D

Cerys :)

Back