• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bernie is fighting w/ Minnie, U/D: Now Minnie is not on regular diet

Happy Hopping

Wise Old Thumper
Each time Bernie come back from a teeth trim, he get cranky. This year, it's the 3rd teeth trim for Bernie, and ea. time he come back, he try to fight w/ Minnie.

ANd Minnie also don't hold back when she fights, so I have 2 cases of fur all over the room in the past 2 days, and I found 1 bite wound on Minnie's body already.

Now they are fighting in between the gate that separate upstair vs. downstair. The gate is quite well sealed, but at the bottom there is a towel, and they now try to pull that towel back and forth.

These 2 have been bonded since summer 2008. Any trick or do I have to re-bond them?

Last edited:
Ea. time he has the teeth trim, the vet injected metacam inside him. This time, it's not my regular vet, in fact, another useless vet, and she didn't inject metacam.

However, I did get Bernie Metacam after the surgery. So I have to say his diet takes longer to fully recover. But as of 1/2 day ago, I'm certain he has fully recover, he eats his regular diet.

But the attempted fighting still has no end

Something strange is happening this Sat. evening. Minnie is not eating her regular treats, such as carrot, a small slice of apple & pear.

She did eat the carrot leaves but it took her a long time, normally she eats them in minutes. However, she's eating the hay quite nicely.

I only have a few theories:

1) When Bernie came back from his teeth trim on Thurs., he bite Minnie and there is a wound. I have put polysporin on the wound yesterday and today and give her Metacam for the anti-inflammatory effect today. But on day 1, she licks the polysporin and the wound. The fur is missing either by her licking or Bernie pull it off.

So I'm guessing it could be the wound that bothers her or the licking and swallowing of some polysporin.

But if there is an infection, it can't work that fast into her body, and what doesn't add up is, usually it's the hay that a bun doesn't eat, but the treats + greens, not the other way around, although she's eating some of the pellets.

For those who have handle rabbit fighting causes wound, how you seen something like this before?

2) The other theory is that now she and Bernie are separated, she no longer need to wolf down the carrot, apple slice. When Bernie is sitting w/ her side by side, he would have finish those treats within 5 - 10 min., so in a way, she's force to eat some, knowing there won't be any left later. She has always been a bun who loves hay more. So, now she doesn't need to eat the treats quickly. She did eat the carrot leaves.

But something is definitely bothering her, although part of it, as of this evening, is the green tape that I wrap around her, although the above behaviour has started BEFORE I put the green tape on her. The green tape is used to hold the bandage of the wound

3) There is another theory: she is stressed now that Bernie has attacked her and she's no longer w/ Bernie side by side.

On a brighter note, Bernie's diet has returned to normal.

I can re-bond them at the backyard, the weather is reasonable.

But I'm concern about Minnie, she's not eating much treats, such as veggies just now, which is strange in itself.

Back