• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Abcess Removal Surgery - Recovery

Davey&Bugz

New Kit
My sister's rabbit Bugz just had surgery today to remove an abscess the size of a ping pong ball. A week ago today he didn't even have a swollen face it just appeared sometime between last saturday-sunday.

Bugz is nearly 7 years old and he is a Holland Lop, smaller than our other Holland lop.

I was just wondering if anyone has a bunny that went through the same procedure. Bugzs seems a little depressed and I'm worried about him and I want to know what I can do for him.

He's on Baytril, Cisapride, another probiotic and isn't allowed to have the metacam till tomorrow 0.11 ml every 24 hours. I'm just hoping he isn't in pain now. Is that a normal dose?

I'm not sure what to do about his face either. Lots of his fur was shaved off and he tries to scratch the area sometimes. The vet just said to keep it dry.

Also does anyone know the best way to clean around a rabbits eyes? Both of our rabbits eyes water and make it crusty a bit around their eyes. We got saline solution from the vet, but I'm not sure what is the best way to use it on them (Q tips?)

Thank you in advance

Last edited:
french lop Pierre had a large amount of discharge from both eyes following a dental in which several molars were removed (the relief in pressure on his sinuses which were blocked by the molar roots was the cause of his).
my vet recommended using a large glass of warm water with a tiny pinch of of bicarbonate of soda to wash around the eye area. which seemed to be very effective.
i soaked a piece of kitchen paper in the solution and gently wiped around the eyes....personaly i'd be unnerved using qtips around pierres eyes in case he suddenly moved and ended up being poked in the eye...i think a bit of kitchen paper would be less likely to result in injury.

im not sure how they work out metacam dose wise but o.1ml sounds about right:?

facial abcess

My sister's rabbit Bugz just had surgery today to remove an abscess the size of a ping pong ball. A week ago today he didn't even have a swollen face it just appeared sometime between last saturday-sunday.

Bugz is nearly 7 years old and he is a Holland Lop, smaller than our other Holland lop.

I was just wondering if anyone has a bunny that went through the same procedure. Bugzs seems a little depressed and I'm worried about him and I want to know what I can do for him.

He's on Baytril, Cisapride, another probiotic and isn't allowed to have the metacam till tomorrow 0.11 ml every 24 hours. I'm just hoping he isn't in pain now. Is that a normal dose?

I'm not sure what to do about his face either. Lots of his fur was shaved off and he tries to scratch the area sometimes. The vet just said to keep it dry.

Also does anyone know the best way to clean around a rabbits eyes? Both of our rabbits eyes water and make it crusty a bit around their eyes. We got saline solution from the vet, but I'm not sure what is the best way to use it on them (Q tips?)

Thank you in advance

was this abcess solely in the cheek.??..or did it involve gum tissue and teeth,??..tear ducts are internal on a rabbit so if he is experiencing wet fur from watery eyes he should have a skull-radiograph-and/or be on antibiotic(baytril)-and have an eye antibiotc as well ie..gentamicin sulfate ophthalmic 0.3%,,--which brings us to diet..need more fiber--ie..timothy/orchard grass-- to keep those teeth busy-(ground down)-,,fruit tree branches/twigs will help--the teeth and gi tract,,.ask the dvm if you can give metacam twice daily(.11mlx2)-for at least the first 3 days...sincerely james waller:wave:

If the eyes are just watery and there's no infection just keep them clean. Watch out for any signs of pus or discomfort.

If the fur gets crispy I usually just rub it between my fingers to loosen it and then comb it out with a fine toothed comb. My bun enjoys the grooming. :)

The metacam is the same dose Grim was having so it sounds about right.

I had a bad experience with an older rabbit with an abscess, so my best advice is keep him stress free. Try and keep his routine as normal as possible. He's been through a lot so he's bound to seem depressed, if he was put under general anaesthetic for the first time imagine how scared he must have been. Lots of cuddles and extra treats might be in order. :)

Thank you for all the advice everyone :)

Bugz seems about the same everyday. But he isn't eating on his own. He'll only eat tiny pieces of apple if we offer it to him and hold it for him.

So now I'm wondering if we will have to syringe feed him or not.

Bugz was a very picky bunny to begin with. He has always refused to eat any kind of hay and will only eat apple no other vegetable or fruit. He basically only ate pellets, not sure why either.

We just got him to eat mushed pellets but then he got tired. He gets tired very easily.

I just want to make sure he keeps his strength up so he gets better.

Back