• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Our garden

Ceretrea

Warren Scout
Posted in health re non toxic hedge and thought I would post pics of the garden here as it accounts for 50% of my total stress level each day i have to look at it lol

This gives a good idea of the base of the dreaded leylandii and alot of the ivy grows here. The apple tree stump still grows suckers every year which fall off in the autumn:-

FirstEnd.jpg

We fenced it off using a puppy playpen that unfolded across the width of the garden. We have a rather nasty manky thorny hedge that is on the other side of an equally manky broken chain link fence. This pic shows the shade problem:-

SecondEnd.jpg

The garden is long and narrow although wider than it appears in these pics.
The patio in progress, we finished a few months ago:-

SecondPatio.jpg

Ignore the blue fencing, we are ripping it out soon as its not working. Garden will be grassed from side to side and a few potted shrubs added but the end of the garden is keeping me up at night :roll: I can't put anyhting important down there for two reasons:-

1. Spiders
2. Wasps

Yes, dumb reason to some but I am terrified of the above beasties. OH wants to permanently fence the end off...it needs a new fence as its not exactly secure right now and to be honest a new chain link fence going behind the apple tree stump and in front of the leylandii might be the way to go but I loathe losing so much ground.

Sorry for the ramble but its better out on here then a brain explosion :lol:

Is it possible to take out the existing spiky hedge and then re-fence at the bottom of the garden using concrete fence posts - much sturdier than if you just put in the ordinary fence posts?

It is hard to tell if there is any access out of the bottom of the garden - do you need to keep a way out?

:)

Is it possible to take out the existing spiky hedge and then re-fence at the bottom of the garden using concrete fence posts - much sturdier than if you just put in the ordinary fence posts?

It is hard to tell if there is any access out of the bottom of the garden - do you need to keep a way out?

:)

Theres no way out down the end. Only access is through the house. We can't touch the hedge as it belongs to the people who live behind us (private owned bungalow).

Its hard to see but at the end there is an area to the left that is behind the fence. We need to close that off as its full of bricks and rubble that the builders left when they cleared the house before we moved in. Housing Associations completely strip their houses of everything with each new tenant, unfortunately they only remove structures from the garden. In our case we have been clearing it for the last 4 years :shock:

We are finally at the stage where we can start adding things to it :lol:

My last post from the health thread:-

Ideas for hedging down the end (incorporated with fencing as a possible step forward)

Rosemary - won't grow under the shade of the leylandii apparently..boo

Hazel - Was dead set on this until a friend showed me her HUGE overgrown hazel tree...eep.

Box - Grows well in shade or sun apparently good choice if bunnies won't touch as previous poster said.

BUT...

Anything we plant that will grow enormous without attention will result in us being billed by the housing association for removal of said plant when we leave if the new tenants lose control of it. This is the official position of the landlords.

So its going to have to be either pots (v.expensive) or something that grows to around 6 foot max, 2 foot to 3 foot spread max.

So, is there a kind of box that won't take over or any other suggestions? Has to be tolerant of shade aswell as sun.

Any comments on this would also be much appreciated :D

It's hard to tell from the picture where the boundary is. If it's not your hedge I would cut it back to the boundary and put a 6' fence in to match the rest of you garden :)

It's hard to tell from the picture where the boundary is. If it's not your hedge I would cut it back to the boundary and put a 6' fence in to match the rest of you garden :)

We had thought of that, although none of the men here are keen on putting in fence posts lol

Trouble is that we can't get a definite answer from the housing association as to whether the hedge marks the boundary or whether out boundary is behind the hedge. However, all the old chain link (obscured by the hedge in the pic) is on our side so we should be alright just ignoring it.

Question is:- Hedge in front of the existing on and chain link in front of that or fence panels in front of the existing hedge and hedge in front of that?

I'll have to get my pointy stick ou to poke OH into doing the fence posts..they'll have to be done it either case to make it bunny proof.

Only other thing is that we could ask the people over the back if they even want the hedge thats there but I have a feeling that big thorny hedge was planted to keep out the residents who were here before if you get my meaning. Don't blame them considering how much rubbish we cleared from the end there.

Lunar:- the problem is that if we move and the next tenants don't trim it we will be billed to remove it if it grows into a monster tree. Our HA was taken over by a bigger one recently..its a shame because the previous tenants would have been billed for the mess in the garden when they left but the old HA didn't ask them for a forwarding address :censored: But thats another story.

Great ideas guys, keep em coming :D

I would speak to the house behind about their thoughts on the hedge and where the boundary is. Can you see the end boundaries of the neighbours to either side of you, do they have fences at the end? If it's a row of houses sometimes the back gardens are obviously the same length.

Looking at your house on google maps so you can see the aerial view may help and you can also download the title deeds from the land registry for about £5. These won't give you a 100% answer but may shed some light on it.

I would speak to the house behind about their thoughts on the hedge and where the boundary is. Can you see the end boundaries of the neighbours to either side of you, do they have fences at the end? If it's a row of houses sometimes the back gardens are obviously the same length.

Looking at your house on google maps so you can see the aerial view may help and you can also download the title deeds from the land registry for about £5. These won't give you a 100% answer but may shed some light on it.

To our left the neighbours garden stops at the end of the left row of fence panels (the blue ones) in the pic. So they panelled the end of the garden and left the alcove I was talking about. To the right the neighbours have sheds right up against the boundary backing onto the garage of the neighbours at the back if that makes sense. So technically they do have fences..and they don't. Its a weird setup but our cul de sac looks like it was squished in between the existing housing.

HA says the deeds are for the site as a whol and do not delineate the boundaries between properties but they must say something about the perimeter which would cover the boundary we are interested in. I don't think the HA are that bothered but I don't want to step on the toes of the people at the back who have obviously had problems with our property in the past. I'll just have to bite the bullet and when we have the cash to do the fence, go round and speak to them about it.

It would be a bit weird if the title deeds for your house don't show it's boundaries :?

You never know the house behind you might be willing to split the cost of the fence to make their garden look neater too :)

It would be a bit weird if the title deeds for your house don't show it's boundaries :?

You never know the house behind you might be willing to split the cost of the fence to make their garden look neater too :)

Maybe, although I'm not entirely comfortable asking.

The HA said that they hold the deeds there and the boundary is shown for the houses as a whole, the gardens are divided up after they are built apparently. But I won't know for certain until I look it up at registry like you said.

Okay, we will fence off the end..not plant a hedge but add some more potted shrubs that we can move with us. With some solar lights down there as well it should look great.

Thank you for the ideas and helping me clarify it in my head :D

I'll have to post pics when its eventually done..should be in the next 5 years :lol::lol:

Back