• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I've failed yet again as a fosterer - meet no. 8

Rykat

Mama Doe
Well, I was asked to foster a rabbit in October as the local RSPCA, that I am a volunteer homechecker with, had an influx of rabbits and had no space .. I agreed and enter Astrix, 2 yr male, red eyed white. To say he wasn't a snuggle rabbit is an understatement, he grunted and lunged when I dared feed him, we're not talking little gruffle, we're talking ears flat back, front feet up and mouth open. Now I'm not one for giving up easily so out of the dog training box came the old faithful assessor hand that we've used on dogs.

After a week of that and him having a nice treat when quiet (he LOVES science selective pellets so they worked well).

A month later he can have a nose rub through the cage, open it and he climbs up for a fuss, eye/ear rubs and kisses, all with lovely tooth purrs.

Last week I went to drop off some forms to the RSPCA and they said that they had space now so could take him back if I wanted, I felt a horrible pang so said he was fine with me until a home was found as he's benefitting from the one-on-one.

Well I rang them today and said he'd found his forever home ... with me!

Here's the fella. Not ideal pix, but will try to get a nice one tomorrow.

At RSPCA

Astrix1.jpg

At home

Astrix2.jpg

Astrix4.jpg

:lol: *shakes your hand*

I've found myself as a failed foster parent too, for almost exactly the same reasons (rabbit home visitor, etc).

Astrix is very lucky, and will sure benefit from the TLC you can give him, and the stable home :)

Welcome to the failed again forster's club! :oops::lol:

Well done for all the hard work you've done with him, in getting him to trust you :) He's adorable btw :love: No wonder you couldn't let him go back :love::love::love:

Hee-hee-hee well looking at him you really didn't stand a chance he would have stolen anyones heart, he's gorgeous :love:

oh he's lovely!!:love::love::love: Ollie came to me as a stray [only for a week or 2 mind you] a couple of weeks later I thought I'd found him a home,only to get upset when it came time to put him in the pet carrier and take him there.

:wave::wave:Having met him already, I reckoned the "failed Fosterer" thing was a foregone conclusion!!;):lol:

Well, I was asked to foster a rabbit in October as the local RSPCA, that I am a volunteer homechecker with, had an influx of rabbits and had no space .. I agreed and enter Astrix, 2 yr male, red eyed white. To say he wasn't a snuggle rabbit is an understatement, he grunted and lunged when I dared feed him, we're not talking little gruffle, we're talking ears flat back, front feet up and mouth open. Now I'm not one for giving up easily so out of the dog training box came the old faithful assessor hand that we've used on dogs.

After a week of that and him having a nice treat when quiet (he LOVES science selective pellets so they worked well).

A month later he can have a nose rub through the cage, open it and he climbs up for a fuss, eye/ear rubs and kisses, all with lovely tooth purrs.

Last week I went to drop off some forms to the RSPCA and they said that they had space now so could take him back if I wanted, I felt a horrible pang so said he was fine with me until a home was found as he's benefitting from the one-on-one.

Well I rang them today and said he'd found his forever home ... with me!

Here's the fella. Not ideal pix, but will try to get a nice one tomorrow.

At RSPCA

Astrix1.jpg

At home

Astrix2.jpg

Astrix4.jpg

Brilliant, wishing you lots of happy moments together :love::love:

That is such a beautiful story,
and a gorgeous bunny.
It would probably have upset him to leave you, he looks very happy :love:

:wave::wave: Hi Rykat I had heard about you I picked Fudge up for Fostering the same day you picked Asterix up :D Well done cant blame you for failing its soooo hard and such a gorgeous bun :D

They all find a way of creeping into your heart, even when you first take them home saying "I'm NOT going to keep this one"!

I've two on foster that I've had for several months, one of whom was neutered yesterday, and the other who is being done next week.

I've been plotting different ways of how I can keep them from the moment they both arrived:lol::lol:

Well done. Your story made me think about these poor creatures and what they had endured in the past. In a short time, he knows he is safe and can relax - also to have the life he should have had.

Back