• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Worming necessary?

rabswood

Wise Old Thumper
I have never wormed any of my buns althought I have bought the wormer paste stuff in a syringe but I I don't know how much to give them or what the buns weigh so I have never used it.

I have never seen any worms any where. Is it necessary to worm the buns do you think. They all seem healthy.

Rabswood

I suppose I do mine yearly (thinks ...... which ones at what time...!). My Reggie (RIP) had e-cuniculi, poor little chap which wasn't very nice for him, although he got better with treatment. I think it's a good idea to get them all done maybe at least once a year .... not sure what the official advice would be. :wave:

I think the latest advice is not to bother and only use the panacur if there are signs of EC and then it should be a full months worth?!

I think the latest advice is not to bother and only use the panacur if there are signs of EC

What she said. ;)

I think it's still important to use panacur as a wormer if they have access to a garden that's used by dogs/cats/foxes though. :)

I use Panacur for parasites I can see, like we had a pinworm problem. When we had a tapeworm problem the vet used Droncit injections.

A guy I know via the web researches EC and has found fenbendazole to be of little use, and uses a different wormer for that now, which he says he has found more successful. His knowledge about EC differs from what we know over in the UK. He says that most vets still misunderstand EC. In relation to that, I don't Panacur for EC.

Advice is to use panacur for e.c. prevention or worming 2-4 times a year. However having discussed it with my vet, given that my four are all over 6 years old now and have never been done, we have decided not to routinely panacur them, for fear of disrupting the 'status quo' that has so happily existed over the years. I think it's a bit 'each case on its own merits' though and what is right for one bun may not be right for another.

access to a garden that's used by dogs/cats/foxes though. :)

where we're moving to, the last people had 2 dogs. i was hoping (when esme and eric are safe together again) to give them access to it as its fully enclosed (walled) so how long should i panacur them for? they both had 10 days recently.

how long may whatever the doggies left in the garden survive for?

Would you actually have easily recognisable visual evidence of worms in the bunny poos ?

It looks like Sky-o could see pin worms, so I would imagine you can.

Have decidednot to use the Panacur and pass it on to a rescue instead. If it was one dose I would have done it, what has reallyput me off is not knowing how much to give and not being able to accurately weigh them. I feel better leaving well alone. Every bun seems healthy enough.

Thaks for your thoughts everyone.

Rabswood

Back