• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Damp chin - UPDATE: teeth

Loosy

Warren Veteran
Hi, I'm kinda worried at the moment. I've come home for the weekend and noticed Pipkin has a wet patch to one side of his mouth, it's also stained kind of yellow (though his feet are also stained a bit because of the mud). It doesn't smell or anything so I don't know if it could be pus.
I don't know how long it's been there either. I'm just waiting for my mum to ring me back to ask if she has noticed it so I will have more information before I ring the vet.

I just wondered what this could be or if it could be nothing? A vet bill is really not needed at the moment -_-

ETA: Probably should add he's eating and pooin fine. He seems absolutely fine in himself

Last edited:
It does sound like teeth problems with the wet mouth, so best to get checked out at the vet asap.

Could the yellow just be where maybe it has stained Pipkin where he has been dribbling?

Hope he is OK and its not an abcess.

Edit - does he drink out of a bowl where he may just have a wet chin.

He definitely needs the vets. This could be something simple, it could be he needs a dental, it could be more complex like an abscess, but spurs or something being a problem is more likely.

Pleaseget him seen ASAP.

Its impossible to say without being able to see him

A constantly wet chin can occur if the Rabbit has Dental problems so I would definately get the Vet to check him over.

He doesn't drink from a bowl so it can't be that.
I'm ringing the vet now. Hopefully they can fit him in today..

I'd say go see a vet too. Never seen a bun with a wet chin but it's certainly a symptom which would make me book an appointment asap.

I have an appointment at half 4.
Aaargh, so nervous. I thought I'd be able to have a relaxing weekend at home, but of course not -_-

It is his teeth :(
He's also lost 200 grams. I feel so guilty, I don't know how I didn't notice. He's eating fine though so I'm so confused :(
He's going for a dental on Monday but I'm so worried with the anaesthetic now he's so light (800g).
It's also costing a fortune. Does £97 seem right for a dental? :?

You got him to the vet as soon as you saw symptoms, that's all you can be expected to do. No idea how much a dental should be as I' ve not had to take mine for one yet.

Vibes for Monday.

I think that is maybe average price for dental with a GA.

Don't feel bad. I have a dental bunny and he did not show any signs until he was throwing himself around the garden - he did not have wet chin or anything.

Maybe you could give him some porridge or something over the next couple of days to try to put a bit of weight on him. Never had to do this so hopefully someone more experienced will come along.

Sending him lots of vibes for Monday.

I think that is maybe average price for dental with a GA.

Don't feel bad. I have a dental bunny and he did not show any signs until he was throwing himself around the garden - he did not have wet chin or anything.

Maybe you could give him some porridge or something over the next couple of days to try to put a bit of weight on him. Never had to do this so hopefully someone more experienced will come along.

Sending him lots of vibes for Monday.

Porridge sounds like a good idea. Would I just give him the oats or does it have to be in water?
He's currently sitting in his carrier (so Ruby can't be greedy and steal it) surrounded by food. He looks pretty delighted XD

It is his teeth :(
He's also lost 200 grams. I feel so guilty, I don't know how I didn't notice. He's eating fine though so I'm so confused :(
He's going for a dental on Monday but I'm so worried with the anaesthetic now he's so light (800g).
It's also costing a fortune. Does £97 seem right for a dental? :?

Mine was £119 :wave: that was 3 weeks ago, the latest was £175.00 but that had an xray too. So sounds good to me

Mine was £119 :wave: that was 3 weeks ago, the latest was £175.00 but that had an xray too. So sounds good to me

Ok that's good to know. My vets is ridiculously expensive and that sounded a bit steep to me but maybe not. ^_^

I have 10 dental buns and pay roughly £70-£80 for each dental.

Do you have Metacam to give him over the weekend? I would spend the weekend feeding him up as much as possible, and the pain relief should help with that.

Well done for taking him.

I have 10 dental buns and pay roughly £70-£80 for each dental.

Do you have Metacam to give him over the weekend? I would spend the weekend feeding him up as much as possible, and the pain relief should help with that.

Well done for taking him.

He had a painkiller injection while he was there. I should have asked for some to take away with me but I didn't think to at the time :oops:
I can go back tomorrow to pick some up. He hasn't seemed to be in any pain though and has been eating fine.
I'm not sure whether Ruby could have been stealing his food to make him lose so much weight. I think I might have to seperate them for feeding just in case...

Are there any particularly good weight gaining foods I could give him?

Last edited:
Lola has lost about 400 grams in 1 month :( and she was eating the same as always too.

I've been looking at porridge, hobnobs, and junior pellet mixed with normal pellet mix.:wave:

Back