• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Grass safety for rabbits

lunar6769

Alpha Buck
Sorry bit long

I have just bought 2 x8 side dog pen things 107cm high, 61cm per panel - so 16 panels in all.

1. The rabbits have never been on grass - except when escaping from the children - would it be okay to put the pen on grass for them for a change or should it be on the patio?

2. We are inundated by at least one fox family and our garden is on their night path - would the rabbits catch anything from the grass if the foxes have been on it?

(The pen will only be used supervised and is for extra space and variety for them. The rabbits are currently in an 11' square 'compound' on flags and although the hutch takes up a bit of room in there they can run round it.)

You need to limit the amount of grass they eat at first, too much too fast will cause upset tummies.

I don't think there is anything specific they can catch from foxes, although Myxi can be carried on any wild animals as far as I know, but I'm sure they're already vaccinated fully.

You should get some electronic or other deterrents though, the rabbits may be able to smell the foxes and if they see them they are likely to be scared stiff.

Thank you for the grass info. Yes, vacs up to date but I think that I'll stay with the run on the patio.

I have looked at some deterrents on the internet and I would worry that they will harass the rabbits too if they are electronic.

Our garden is c. 150ft long - 75ft of which is open fence in the woods - it is a condition of our owning that bit of land that the deer and wildlife can get free access through the fence. So it is a bit tricky to keep the animals out of the garden. The foxes are not perturbed by humans and will trot past at the bottom of the garden even when we are around occasionally. The foxes however don't seem to cross the patio which is good.

Thank you for the grass info. Yes, vacs up to date but I think that I'll stay with the run on the patio.

I have looked at some deterrents on the internet and I would worry that they will harass the rabbits too if they are electronic.

Our garden is c. 150ft long - 75ft of which is open fence in the woods - it is a condition of our owning that bit of land that the deer and wildlife can get free access through the fence. So it is a bit tricky to keep the animals out of the garden. The foxes are not perturbed by humans and will trot past at the bottom of the garden even when we are around occasionally. The foxes however don't seem to cross the patio which is good.

Sounds fantastic - apart from the foxes. :)

Back