• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

what is your buns typical menu for a day

rexy&coco

Warren Scout
thanks.
want to see if i can jazz things up a bit for my buns
brekkie------????
dinner-------????
tea----------????

Mine get fresh hay in the morning and evening, and a small amount of pellets in the morning. They also then get a treat in the evening, which can be more pellets, a small bit of fruit or some herbs or dandelion leaves.

Mine have a very boring and basic diet, but I like it like that because up until today (don't want to jinx myself) we have not had any gut problems and no gas, ever.

The only rabbit who gets a varied diet is my newest addition Rosie who eats a lot of parsley (flat and curly), basil, and two different typesd of pellets as well as oats, and obviously hay. She needs the variety due to health problems.

breakfast- ss pellets and two natural carrot treats each and fresh hay

Dinner- fresh hay, depending whats on the menu, cabbage, celery, parsely, carrot (sometimes they have corriander and flat leaf parsely).

A handful of nuggets morning and evening.
Constant hay/straw/grass/dried dandelion stuff.
At least two different veggies in circulation: pak choi, greens, broccoli, cauliflower, coriander, parsley, carrots (organic with the stem on), some green stuff that smells like absolute ****:lol:, and lots more.
She has cereal blocks to keep her teeth down and some dried bean things you get in Wilko which she loves, but they smell like feet.
And the occasional chocolate drop.

She isn't fat though!

25g each of pellets (they are all on different ones at the mo!) in the morning.

Early evening they get a huge bowl full of different veggies - around 3-4 different veggies at a time and I try to change it every few days: carrots, spring greens, parsley, savoy cabbage, sweetheart cabbage, summer cabbage, brussels sprouts, celery, romaine lettuce.

Then about an hour or two after that they get another 25g each of pellets.

They have constant hay.

Occasionally I give them fenugreek crunchies, carrotys, dandelion delight or alfalfa cubes as treat.

Breakfast at 7am - (plastic picnic plate piled with: Spinach, curly kale, spring greens and brocolli, fresh herbs.

Access to hay all though the day.

Dinner between 5.30 - 8pm - the same as the above again, but I change her litter tray at 8pm, and bring it downstairs, so she sits in there watching TV munching West Willow and Green Burns oat hay and dried fruit leaves.

Treat of a couple of raisins or plantain or wholemeal toast (tiny amount)

Had the odd tomato when I grew them earlier in the year.

The above veg is her norm now as she was getting poorly tummy with anything different, have also stopped giving her tiny bits of banana, and carrots make her very bad, she does sometimes have the carrot tops though.

She has no pellet food at all.

Mine get unlimited hay.

In the morning the get a big bowl of veggies per pair - I try to keep this varied.

In the eve they get 1 tbsp of pellets each - sound tiny I know but my vet always praises the condition of my buns so I must be doing something right.

Unlimited Hay -
Fresh water

Breakfast, 1 eggcup full of nuggets, Spring greens, Half baby corn, 1 sugar snap pea, dill, coriander, mint and basil.

Brian also has a brussel sprout, Lola has more dill as she doesn't like mint and Jemimah has 2 sugar snap peas as she doesn't like baby corn.

:wave:

Tea- same veges again, not nuggets though.

It does vary slightly, but it's pretty much like this:

Breakfast - 1/2 a bag of watercress, rocket and spinich, and a few leaves of chicory.

Morning snack - 1/2 a big pot of basil, 1/4 carrot and a stick of celery

Lunch: Grass

Afternoon snack: 1/4 bag of coriander, 1/4 carrot, 1/6 cucumber

Tea - 1 stick celery, 1/4 carrot

Evening snack - 1/2 a bag of watercress, spinich and rocket

Supper - 1/2 a bag of parsley, 1/4 carrot, 1/2 a head of chicory, 1/2 a big tomato, and Tesco's entire stock of broccoli!

They have unlimited hay too, usually timothy hay with herbs.

Breakfast - fresh hay every day - big green timothy hay, marigold mix and
ordinary hay
- veges - usually one sprout each
- pellets - tablespoon between them

During day - carrot treats, basil or sage or lavender or mint

Dinner - top up of all hay sorts
- veges - more sprout or bit of broccoli
- fruit ocassionally - apple or pear
- pellets - tablespoon between them

3 water bowls changed twice a day

They eat hay for Britain and don't like carrots :shock: apart from the carroty treat sticks from Asda/Wilkinsons!

:)

Now ifeel guilty. I only give mine a bowl ful of veggies mixed with a teacup of exel. That is it fir the day. Oh and unlimited hay. Looks like I need to give more veggies during the day. So glad someone put this post up

Now ifeel guilty. I only give mine a bowl ful of veggies mixed with a teacup of exel. That is it fir the day. Oh and unlimited hay. Looks like I need to give more veggies during the day. So glad someone put this post up

There are an infinite amount of ways to feed bunnies because all bunnies are different. If what you are doing works for yours then there is nothing wrong with it. Your buns get more fresh than mine do, by a mile, and I know mine are fine with their diet.

If you want to add more fresh then that's fine, but don't feel you have to :)

Mine is very happy with hers I know.

She gets out for half an hour in the morning and has grass for breakfast. Then she gets out for an hour in the afternoon for more grass. A good handful of excel pellets for dinner with just a just a small amount of veg, as I've only just introduced it to her diet.

She gets a good couple of large handfuls of hay too and that lasts her all day, as well as a few dried apple treats that she loves so much.

07:45 20-30 gramms of pellets
Hay available permanently
22:00 Around 90 gramms of mixed vegetables

(They are 1200 gramms rabbits)

Breakfast - veg of some kind and whatever they scavenge in their half hour free range time followed by meadow hay and timothy hay

tea - two handfulls of pellets whatever they scavenge in their free range time followed by meadow hay

supper - meadow hay and timothy hay

I have two small rabbits; they have timothy hay and fresh water at all times plus:

8.00 - 5g SS pellets each and a bowl of Burns green oat hay between them
9.00 - small bowl of veg* each
(The timing is split to get them to come in from the garden so I can go to work!)

18.00 - 5g SS pellets each
Bedtime - small bowl of veg*

Veg means a selection of two or three of:
* pak choi (one leaf)
* spring greens (quarter a leaf)
* rocket (handful)
* watercress (handful)
* broccoli (one floret)
* cauliflower (one floret)
* carrot (couple of slices)
* celery (three or four small chunks)
* flat leaf parsley (a couple of sprigs)
* coriander (a couple of sprigs)
* mint.

I dont give treats often. If I do then it's a grape or a couple of sultanas or a piece of apple or slice of banana.

moring: fresh hay to last the day
small handfullof ss pelets (10maybe?)

evening: veg, depends on what we are having for tea, usually 2/3 types some more pellets

Last edited:
Breakfast - selection of three veg & herbs usually some sort of cabbage, cauliflower, brussells and basil, parsley & thyme whatever I can get. Usually have a bit more variety when its summer and I am growing my own.

Tea is science selective or Bunny Basics Timothy depending on the bun a small amount

Treat some treat hay, dried herbs (usually fresh dandelion and plaintain and grass when I can get it).

unlimited ordinary hay - timothy or other hay in lesser amounts (but more gets eaten)

veggies morning and evening, with pellets. currently a very small handful, half each.they had fewer pellets in the warmer weather - they are indoors but not heated.

recently up to 3 little crunchies each, a day.

Mine have-
7am- top up hay and refill water and 2 tbs pellets (supa rabbit)
9am- small amount of veg or grass or dandelions or they eat their own grass in the garden
lunchtime- top up hay again
4pm- small amount veg
7pm- few more pellets if they have finished the mornings
9pm- top up hay again

On top of this, each time I need to herd them up or put them in the carrier or cut claws etc, they get a treat of apple, salad or crunchie treat.

They seem to go through huge amounts of hay which is great. I keep topping it up rather then give them a huge pile that gets round the house. As it is I hoover at least twice a day!

Back