• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Preparing for Bond, advice needed

p_prod_uk

Mama Doe
I haven't had time to come on much this last week, but I've got Bella who is an extremely nervous bun. I will be bonding her with Dude (very laid back and a little timid) but have no idea how to go about it.

With Dude and Poppy I just bit the bullet and they bonded really well, but with Bella and Dude i'm 100% nervous and really not sure the best way to do it with her being so jumpy and scared.

Does anyone have any advice as to exactly how they would do it, or should I look for a rescue or someone to bond for a donation? Am getting myself in a right tizz just thinking about it! :roll::cry:

Thanks

It's really important you are calm because they will pick up on how you feel. I wouldn't suggest doing it alone because of how you feel, so is there someone who could be with you and who you could chat with and stay relaxed with? If not, then a rescue may be the way forward.

If it helps, I have bonded several anxious buns, and those who were anxious of people bonded the easiest with other buns. I have only had one be anxious with other buns, and she was fine with people. I would hope that with Bella being nervous, she might be so glad to see Dude that it all goes smoothly.

The normal rules of bonding apply though, obviously. Most importantly, from the sounds of it though, you need to try and relax about it a bit more before doing anything.

Thanks, I may have a look around for options of rescue who would bond.

I've had her out tonight and she's getting ever so slightly more confident, but still a long way to go!

Poor little lady :cry:

Thanks for replying :D

Be patient with her :) she doesn't sound anything like my Roger when he came. He used to be unhandlable because if I tried he would just run in a blind panic and be a danger to himself. After some intensive work I could pick him up but he would shake and cower and was petrified. When he first met Summer he was so SO relieved to see her that he groomed her instantly and it was the fastest bond I've had.

Cloud was a vicious bun due to anxiety over people (no idea why, he was born here and never had anything happen to him but he has an anxious nature) and when he met the Dopeys he, again, was so relieved, and that was the second quickest bond I had.

They were the most anxious bunnies I had (anxious in terms of people) and they were the easiest bonds. Hopefully that will be the case for your lady too.

Be patient with her :) she doesn't sound anything like my Roger when he came. He used to be unhandlable because if I tried he would just run in a blind panic and be a danger to himself. After some intensive work I could pick him up but he would shake and cower and was petrified. When he first met Summer he was so SO relieved to see her that he groomed her instantly and it was the fastest bond I've had.

Cloud was a vicious bun due to anxiety over people (no idea why, he was born here and never had anything happen to him but he has an anxious nature) and when he met the Dopeys he, again, was so relieved, and that was the second quickest bond I had.

They were the most anxious bunnies I had (anxious in terms of people) and they were the easiest bonds. Hopefully that will be the case for your lady too.

How did you bond with nervous buns? Just in a small space, let them see each other for a while first? Car ride in carrier? :)

I did Summer and Roger in a run in the garden, and I did the Dopeys and Cloud in my living room. I just let them get on with it once I saw there was going to be no fighting. I sat super close to start with, and then moved away.

My more complex bondings I tend to start that way and then if that doesn't work, try different things.

Back