• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Recovery Formula.

Jaysmonkey

Wise Old Thumper
Heya, Lola isn't eating again today so I'm contemplating giving her the science supreme recovery formula. The site on the back doesn't work, so I cannot get instructions, does anyone know how much water to powder ratio, it's a 20g bag, 15g to 1kg of weight right? Also I was going to mix it with baby food to make it taste nicer, however I don't know how much I should be adding? How much of the mixture should I expect her to have/give her?

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=204441&page=3

Thanks! :wave:

I never do proper ratios, just start with a small bit of the stuff and add enough water so that it is syringable.

Is she eating at all? I'm guessing she is on pain meds?

Could you try a bunny buffet of all her favourite things (if you're not already). I have found waving food in front of their faces annoys them and so they take it in their mouths to throw it out the way and end up eating it. If she is alert, this might be less stressful for her than syringe feeds.

Lola is so lucky to have you looking after her :)

I never do proper ratios, just start with a small bit of the stuff and add enough water so that it is syringable.

Is she eating at all? I'm guessing she is on pain meds?

Could you try a bunny buffet of all her favourite things (if you're not already). I have found waving food in front of their faces annoys them and so they take it in their mouths to throw it out the way and end up eating it. If she is alert, this might be less stressful for her than syringe feeds.

Lola is so lucky to have you looking after her :)

She ate a little last night but not alot at all, considering she hadn't eaten the day before or during the day yesterday :( and now she's refusing food again. I've tried to annoy her, but she's got the better of me and shoves her nose staright down to the floor so I can't get to her mouth. She also loves biting my dressing gown robe so I thought if I held it in front of her, and draped greens over the belt she'd bite them and not notice.. She did bite them but didn't eat them, just made teeth marks! :(

I've tried everything she likes, dill is her favourite, and I've even gone to try things she doesn't normally have and things she doesn't like, because she's very fussy like that! She is pretty alert yes, she's had one dose of Metcam today the next lot will be tonight.

Thank you for the advice on the recovery food, I was told to make it like soup..which confused me because not all soups are the same- some are gloopy, some are watery!!:oops:, I also thought that it was best to be realistic she's not going to have a jug-full of formula! :lol:

Thanks very much!:wave:

I wonder if she needs stronger pain meds?

I laughed at her putting her face to the floor. I've had one evasive bunny like that, frustrating, but funny from a distance (not in your position though).

I would experiment with the recovery formula and see what works best for you and the syringe. i tend to find I make it far more watery than it says. Another option would be a pellet slurry (put hot water on some pellets and leave them to soak and cool and turn to mush and syringe them like that). Another option after that is, if she is used to fresh foods, then make a bunny pesto using a food processor and her favourite foods. That should be easily syringable too.

I wonder if she needs stronger pain meds?

I laughed at her putting her face to the floor. I've had one evasive bunny like that, frustrating, but funny from a distance (not in your position though).

I would experiment with the recovery formula and see what works best for you and the syringe. i tend to find I make it far more watery than it says. Another option would be a pellet slurry (put hot water on some pellets and leave them to soak and cool and turn to mush and syringe them like that). Another option after that is, if she is used to fresh foods, then make a bunny pesto using a food processor and her favourite foods. That should be easily syringable too.

Great advice, thank you! :wave: I agree about pain meds, but the doseage she is having is pretty high for Metacam anyway. She weighs now 2.45 kg and is to have 1.8ml twice a day for the next 5 days, the doseage then decreases to 1.3ml twice a day for 3 weeks. She's also on 3 months of antibiotics which I have to inject every second day :(. I think she might like the pesto.

Thank you!

Back