• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What to do about Timmy?

Hugo's There

Wise Old Thumper
He went back for a check up today as his liver is showing more signs of deteriorating. One of the symptoms is his abdomen bloating up on and off through out the day. At times he is like a hard football, and must be very uncomfortable :(

The vet suggest that to help ease this I could cut out all veg and just give him minimal pellets and plenty of hay. But the problem with that is he needs a wet diet because of the calcium build up in his urine :? After years on an unlimited pellet diet he also really enjoys his veg. Timmys weight is also hard to maintain and it was recommended before that he has plenty of root veg to help with this.

So what do I do? Cut out his veg or carry on?

He also needs to have 6ml fibreplex daily from now on.

The vet said his liver isn't enlarged but feels very abnormal :( I have asked them repeatedly to U/S his liver but they wont do it without a GA, which he can't have.

The vet had that look on her face which I don't like, if you know what I mean :cry:

Surely there is some veg that is suitable
I believe that quality is better than quantity so if he loves veg and cant eat veg its all very sad
If the veg causes problems thats not good either
unfortunately you have lots of thinking

venice

:( Poor Timmy.

I don't know what fresh you feed him but could you maybe adjust it? So its the safer and easier fresh foods, like your leafy greens (I'm thinking things like dandelions, grass, parsleys, basil, romaine lettuce-the stereotypically easy stuff to digest).

I hear your dilemma.

If it were me, and he were my bunny, I would maybe be looking at and thinking about what makes him happiest (which appears to be fresh), because long term the prognosis does not sound great, and you may extend it slightly with a different diet, but equally, it may be extended if he is happy and positive.

Having said that, whatever you choose to do will be the right thing for Timmy, I have no doubt in that, whatever it may be.

He normally had dark spring green and plenty of carrot, a good vet told me to increase the root veg for his overall weight and condition. He also has small amount of broccolli as a treat and apples.

I have to watch the calcium content of veg due to his urine problems so parsley, watercress and too much dandelion is out.

It is so confusing as he has so many problems, if I help one I seem to make another worse. eg he is now on high metacam doses for his arthritis which is severe, but this is not going to help his liver :?

Could he have some Milk Thistle to help support his Liver function and some acupuncture for his arthritis in the hope that it may reduce the amount of Metacam he needs.

he already has milk thistle :) and I don't think they would be willing to do acupuncture on him with out a GA first given his behaviour :lol:

I feed seeds (sunflower and pumpkin) to my elderly buns to keep weight on and improve their coat texture. Not sure how high in calcium they are though?

I know some people won't feed seeds just in case buns inhale them or they cause a blockage, but I personally have never had any problems

This may be a little "out there" but here it is...

It is the digestion of the veggies that cause the gas build-up so I wonder if you added an enzyme to aid in digestion if that would help. I have used a product called Prozyme for dogs but I bet if there is something for horses, it would also work in rabbits.
I have followed Timmy's story and am a definite fan! Nose rubs to the little fighter:love:

Laser therapy is also a great alternative to acupuncture. I highly recommend it.

Could you carry on with small amounts of root vegetables but leave out the more gas-causing ones like cabbage and other greens?

Sorry I am not an expert at all, and I am so sorry that Timmy has so many problems. Sending vibes for the little fella.

Hx

I'm sorry for gorgeous Timmy (and you). :(

Because of Bob's calcium crystals we had to put a stop to kale and spinach. Then after his awful bouts of stasis we had to stop giving him any sort of veg too as it made him very gassy.

Now he's just on his Protexin Pro-fibre pellets (made by the same people as Fibreplex) which he loves, and hay. I know that sounds horribly boring for him and I'm not being mean I promise. :oops: We give apple now and then as a big treat. It's made a huge difference to the state of his delicate tummy.

Perhaps you could continue with basil leaves and carrot tops so he's still getting his greens? I would think Bok Choi would have a high water content too (and that's on the lower calcium list).

Hi Liz
what a dilemma - i dont know how you make these decisions?!
a friend of mine is a drugs rep for Protexin and i am seeing him on tuesday - i could ask him about Timmy if u want? (maybe get some free samples?!)

Hi Liz
what a dilemma - i dont know how you make these decisions?!
a friend of mine is a drugs rep for Protexin and i am seeing him on tuesday - i could ask him about Timmy if u want? (maybe get some free samples?!)

Thanks everyone, thank you Vikki that would be great :wave:

Poor boy. I don't really have any advice except to say that you know what's best for his welfare and happiness. I don't feed broccoli cause I know it causes gas so I personally would leave this out and go for carrot tops and spring greens.

Sorry I dont know enough to give any constructive advise but I really hope Timmy gets better he really is an amazing bunny

Jemima and I are thinking of you both and sending lots of vibes

xxx

Back