• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hutch lid blew off

Julia123

Warren Veteran
Hiya, came down this morning to find Bungle roaming the garden :shock: the lid on the play hutch had blown off! Bless him as soon as he saw me he came running - poor lad (Nushka was still inside main kennel)

Anyway - been trying to think of how to secure it? Its one of those 4ft x 2ft hutch and run combos and the lid overlaps the hutch and just drops on.... so there is an overhang of timber or about 2.5 inches ..... any ideas???

:shock::shock: Oh my goodness what a shock!

Could you attach some hooks to the roof to attach it to the hutch but still allow it to be removed if needed?

You could try some hook and eye latches, or even attaching some hinges.

If the roof isn't sloped, you could also add some extra weight on top until you get something more permanent attached, hmmm, or use tie down straps.

Not sure other than what's been suggested but can empathise - roof of our SHED blew off! No buns hurt thank goodness but not good! :shock:

Many thanks - here it is its the one on the right hand side of the pic

CIMG2328.jpg

Those latches look great Janice and I have a Scewfix just up the road :thumb:

I'm going to pop a slab on it until later

Tinsel - oh my goodness !! Good luck fixing it x

I was going to suggest the hasp and staples, with padlocks, as Janice suggested. You can fix one piece to the underside of the overhang on the roof, and the other part to the side of the hutch. :) If you open the roof regularly, you could use carabiner clips instead of padlocks.

I would put one on either end though - my Happy Hutch only came with one hasp/staple and it seemed a bit unsafe still with just one side secured down so I did the other side too. :)

I'm glad the buns were ok. :love:

Definately go for a hasp and staple type as these are the only secure ones really. You may have to add in a bit of extra wood so that the hasp and staple part come close enough.

good grief! thankfully bungle is bigger than most foxes :( ;) He'd soon send them packing! I used a small hasp and staple on the monstrosity in the garden with a little clip to secure (like the ones used in rock climbing) rather than a padlock...easier for me to use and you need fingers to open the clips so fox proof.

Its 'fixed' for now with a paving slab and 4 bricks - until I get the hasps - that should be ok shouldn't it?

Back