• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Worth the risk to Spay 4 1/2 year old?

Koibito

Young Bun
From researching and talking with local rabbit rescuers, I've almost decided to have my girl spayed. I know rabbits should normally be spayed much younger, so I've been concerned.

She was already almost 2 when we adopted her, and we knew very little about rabbits. Now that I feel more versed in rabbit care and health, I'm worried that her age will make the risk too great.

She's an approx. 4 1/2 years old lop with a big personality. She loves to explore, play chase and watch TV. :lol: She doesn't have any behavioral problems that would normally be associated with an unspayed doe.

Of course I am willing to do this for her to potentially double her life span - the idea of her getting ovarian cancer breaks my heart. But is her age going to make the procedure a lot riskier?

Another thing that worries me is her being frightened before the procedure. She's very spoiled, and is used to living like a princess. She's not fond of riding in the car and hates to be picked up. I'm worried that the whole ordeal of transporting her to the vet's (approx. 45 minutes away) and having them handle her will traumatize her. Maybe I'm just being an overprotective mother... :oops:

I'd really like any advice on this matter. It's hard to try and make this decision. It would be so terrible if something happened... I just need to know that the benefits will outweigh the risks.

:wave: Thats a tough one, I would give it serious thought to be honest, all you can do is discuss it with an experienced vet and get a thorough health check done initially to see what they think. It is a worry because I read somewhere that when they reach 4 if there is no requirement in terms of pairing up or behaviour that it's not advisable. I would seek professional advice after a health check. Sorry can't be more help. Good luck with what you decide.

Definately get her spayed, i have spayed 3 girls over 5, all came through the op fine. One, who was 7 however, passed away a few months after due to having cancer that had already spread before she could be spayed.

If she had been spayed much earlier, she would still be here.

4.5 yrs isn't drastically old for a rabbit. You could have blood work pre-op to check for any problems that could effect the anaesthetic. If it's the risk of uterine cancer, rather than the other benefits of spaying, that is making you consider it an alternative would be ultra sound. It does mean regular checks though and not all vets can do it. It would still mean a spay if cancer is detected and that could mean spaying at an even later age.

I too have had does spayed aged almost five, just over four and three and a half, as long as they are healthy she will be fine, just make sure you find a rabbit-savvy vet who has done these sort of operations before.

I never had a rabbit spayed and after 4 years of having her (found her when she was approx 1 so she would have been 5) she got cancer. She had emergency spay because we thought it could be caught but unfortunately it spread and we lost her 4-5 weeks later - it was heartbreaking. I know better now and would never not have a female spayed.

FYI - she came through the operation very well and we thought it had been caught but it must have got to her lymph glands and spread quickly.

Please have her spayed.

That is a very difficult one. My old rabbit Daisy had to be spayed when she was well over 6 because we felt a lump (which did turn out to be cancerous). She then lived for nearly another 4 years so it was a good thing. However, I was like you in that she got to a certain age and vet was reluctant to do it because of her age, but because we were always on the look out for lumps and blood, etc., we managed to catch it early. It's a very difficult one I know.

Yes definately.I waited until Holly was almost 5years old to get her spayed & when they opened her up she had an ovary the size of a golf ball.Please get your bun done.:)She came through the op just fine & lived for approx 9 months after but would have probably lived alot longer if I had had her spayed earlier.:(

Last edited:
I had a bunny spayed at 5 and she came through the operation just fine. If you have a good vet, then they will advise you as well.

Thank you so much, everyone, for all of your thoughts. I really appreciate it! :love:

Having read everyone's stories, I feel like getting her spayed would be the right thing to do. I want to do what's best for her. And of course, I'd love to have her with me for as long as possible!

The local house rabbit chapter (I'm in the US) has a great vet that does all their operations, so I feel confident she will be in good hands. But I know I'll be terribly worried, like any bun mum.

What about getting blood work done? Are there specific things I need to ask them to check?

Back