• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

If top teeth are gone, why keep the corresponding bottom?

Happy Hopping

Wise Old Thumper
Bernie had 3 top teeth removed 1 yr. 10 mth. ago. These 3 teeth went bad because he has no access to hay at the time (he's in downtown abandon by some1)

The 3 top teeth is at the Rear, top left corner. since then we need to trim his bottom corresponding 2 teeth every 8 mth.

The trim we done in June is the 2nd trim w/ exactly 8 mth. apart. However, just after that, we need to do a 3rd trim on these bottom teeth on Sept. 15, and then today.

So he's not using his bottom teeth eventhough he eats the same amt. of hay.

So I'm guessing he uses those 2 bottom teeth at 1 time, then the hay may puncture his top corresponding gum and thus, he totally stop using that side. That would explain the time gap to trim shorten from 8 mth. to 3 mth, and now 2 mth.

So without occlusion, why keep the corresponding 2 teeth? He clearly can't use it. And a bigger concern is, if the sharp hay or pellet is hunting his top gum from those 2 bottom teeth, not only he won't use those 2 teeth, he most likely stop using that whole left side, so the entire left side teeth may have no exercise.

I would have thought extraction would be the best way forward for him, especially if he is becoming uncomfortable.

When Cherry had a back tooth food had become lodged in the hole left behind and she became rather uncomfortable.

There is also the risk of infection from food becoming lodged un the gums, and the risk of the back teeth becoming bad too

Last edited:
I was on p.171 so I didn't have the chance to go to p.183.

Bernie came back from the teeth trim. As usual, he seems to be in a bad mood whenever some operation done to him. So I separate him w/ Minnie as they fight last time when Bernie came back for ?? reason.

This time, after he stayed downstair for 6 hr., I let Minnie visit him downstair. And you guess it, they fight like there is no tomorrow.

Then this time, the vet (not my regular) didn't give him metacam prior to the surgery. So he's not eating much as he come back. I have to watch him closely in the next 24 hr.

Back