• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit Food

rabbit mad

Warren Scout
Hello All,

I wonder if any one can help.

I recently got myself a baby giant rabbit, when I got him from his breeder she gave me some of his food and stated clearly that she feeds all off her rabbits on this food regardless of their age it is called ASC Rabbit pellet food with extrra multi vitamins in it...

I transferred my current rabbits onto this as well as it is easier for the rabbit sitter to feed them, all my rabbits seem o.k. in themselves and my cousion has a rabbit who was bought four weeks after my giant from the same breeder, and uses the same food as myself. my cousion took her rabbit to the vet for its check up (she was devostated when she lost her last rabbit and then her vet told her that she could have prevented it... ) she is now very pretective of this rabbit, the vet asked what the rabbit was eating when my cousion told the vet he very sternly stated that the rabbit should not be fed on pellets but only should be fed on them as a treat, and needs more of a combination food, along with lots of fresh vegetables and 50% off his diet to be hay, due to the rabbits digestive system not been able to cope, he basically said that when the rabbits eat it comes straight out of the other end....
Now thinking about it all my three do poo rather a lot, I have especially noticed this in the older rabbits that I switched food with.
I am now very confussed about what to feed my rabbits, could someone else let me know what the you feed your rabbits on and should I stop the pellets and increase more of a combination food along with extra vegetable, if so what vegetables should I feed them on, and what food do you lot buy.

I am so sorry that I have gone on, but I am not very good at explaining things.

I hope someone can help, obviously I am very sensible and if I thought my rabbits had any health issues they would be took to the vet quicker then you can say "boo"

Many Thanks
Kelly :oops::oops:

I haven't checked Jane's links but I'm sure they say hay, hay and more hay! Your bunny should be eating 80% fresh hay daily with a good selection of fresh green leafy vegetables too. Pellets, such as Science Selective or Oxbow Bunny Basics or Burgess Excel, should be fed in very small quanties - prossibly an eggcup full per day for a young giant (not sure about that quantity - I've never owned a giant!). Don't feed a museli type mix as your bunny will pick out the best bits and leave the rest. But I can't stress how important hay is, both for bunny's teeth and its digestion.

Are the pellets ASC, or ACS? If the latter, why do you want to feed a medicated pellet, rather than a normal extruded feed?

Bunnies diet should be 80% hay, followed by 10% veg and the rest pellets. pellets should be a high quality pellet like Science Selective or Excel and bunny only needs an egg cup full a day :)

Do you currently feed veg? If not, its best to start with things like cauli leaves, spring greens, green cabbage, parsley etc. Remember, if you do change your bunnies diet, to do so very very slowly as any extreme change will upset their tummies :)

Good luck with your new bunny :love: and Welcome to the forum :) xXx

Back