• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

rabbit fund?

hannah C

Alpha Buck
hi everybody! :wave:

ive just been reading about the accidents and illnesses over in the care area and was wondering........how much genrally does an emergancy cost?

i really cant afford insurence for steve but i have at least £100 on stand by for house hold emergancies of which steve would get full use of should an emergancy vet trip be needed.

i dont think that this is enough! would £200 dedicated to steve emergancy rabbit fund be more realistic?

just after some opinions really. i know insurence is important really but sometime i just dont have £10 to spare at the end of a month.

cheers for reading

It depends on the fee for an emergency call out at the vets you use. Something such as a broken leg could easily cost £200 without the emergency consultation on top of it.

I think someone on here spent about £1000 on having a rabbit's broken leg pinned :shock:

£200 definitely sounds more realistic, it would cover most eventualities, just not the more serious ones.

I recently had Artie rushed to the vets when he stopped eating, it was a build up of calcium in his bladder. The appointment (Sunday afternoon) was £60, he was admitted, Xrayed and various other treatments and drugs, the bill eventually was £260. He's going back for an xray in two weeks time. By the time I've paid for everything I don't think I'll have much change out of £100 again :shock:

That said, he cost me very little for the first 4 years he was here. Definitely get saving though if you don't have insurance.

I don't think £100 is enough, at some vets that will only get you the appointment, if any treatments are needed it would cost more. £200 is more realistic for a one off treatment, but if tests or x-rays or complicated treatment are needed even this could be insufficient.

I have £400 in mine although I do have six rabbits.

When I had to rush my Steve to the vets, out of hours the fee was £120 + treatment on top. Luckily they trusted me enough to monitor him myself through the night, otherwise I was told to expect to pay up to £500. I ended up paying about £150 - That had to come out of my fund as no money in current account at the time.

He also had an op earlier in the year which cost £100, that DIDN'T come out of the fund, Eva's £50 treatment a month ago and Jet's unsuccessful treatment also did not touch the fund.

I always have my credit card on hand to pay BIG bills (£100+) and then if I want I can transfer money from their fund to lessen the blow, but I tend not to.

If I had had insurance on the eight rabbits I've owned, I would have claimed on five of them to date, and that is since Nov 2006. Of those, possibly only Stevie would have cost less to insure but I doubt his eye would have even been covered in the first place.

speak to your vet find out their emergancy consultation fee and double or triple it to include meds also ask if they would if over a set amount (say over £350) for treatment allow you to pay in installments at all if they say yes try and get this i nwriting if possible. alternativlly put aside around £10 a month into the pot to build it up i would say the older buns get the more you need in a pot or keep a credit card spare? x

I have a direct debit into their bank account of £34 each month, plus I do have pet insurance. They can pay for their own treats and food, they get more money than me each month :lol::lol:

cheers everybody.

i think i will give the vets a ring for the emergancy fee. hhhmmmmmm. and look at being able to afford insurence.

i have a credit card for big emergancies!

so much to think about!! just out of curiosity, is it more expencive to keep two buns? im looking at getting steve a friend. obviously vacinations will double but i can plan for them in advance.

Find out what the out of hour fees are at your vets :)

I don't really think thats enough. I think between 7pm and 12am our vets charge is about £100, after midnight it goes to £150 (at least thats what it was the last time I had one) so if you just have a couple of hundred it will probably just about cover an emergency call out if you need one. How many pets do you have?

Don't mean to scare you or anything but in one week I had three middle of the night appointments for three different rats so paid £450 just to walk through the door with them, that doesn't include any tests that might need doing or medication/treatment and follow up appointments

My emergency vet charged me £74.00 when I took Max after the first and only time he kicked whilst we were cutting his claws, all they did was stop the bleeding! :( My bill today came to £175.00 for Lola (that's an xray, dental, ga and 3 months of meds . Lenny is currently on antibiotics as well because he has an RTI which needs resolving then we can get his teeth properly examined again thats costing £50.00 for the first part :(.

I don't think £100 would be enough if it's extreme :(.

my vets' standard out-of-hours fe is £90 and that's before treatment.

When Sorrel was really poorly I think she cost me over £400 in just over a month.

Forgot to say that I've built up my £400 by paying £25 into it every month, I'm planning on upping to £30 soon though :D

Forgot to say that I've built up my £400 by paying £25 into it every month, I'm planning on upping to £30 soon though :D

I do exactly the same! I decided to pay the £25 a month into a separate account instead of getting insurance following discussions on here about how difficult it is to get money for general rabbit problems!

Daisy had a stasis episode in October and was admitted and on a drip the charge was £200, fortunately I had more than enough saved! Like others have said I don't think £100 would be quite enough! I will also be uping my monthly DD as it looks like Daisy is prone to tummy troubles!

Back