• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Concerned about the babies... U/D Pg18 Post 174 - bloated again

Becky86

Wise Old Thumper
The smallest of the 2 babies isnt eating this morning. Ive spoken to the receptionist at the vets, and the vet is meant to be calling me back later when shes finished operating.

Ive been out and bought some goats milk this morning, i know i need to mix it with prebiotics so will ask the vet for this. Does anyone know the ratio it needs to be mixed at?

Can we have some vibes please :(

Last edited:
Do you know what they were eating before you took them in ?

Do you know why they are not with their Mum and how long they have been away from her ?

If they have been off milk for more than 48 hours I'd be inclined to give them Critical Care feeds rather than Goat's Milk :?

Does the anorexic Buns tummy feel bloated and has he/she passed any faeces ?

Is he/she drinking ?

It would be good to get some Fibreplex into them aswell as a water soluable probiotic.

xx

oh no, come on little one!

I'd focus on hydration mainly - check by pinching the skin on their back/shoulders. if they're well hydrated the skin goes back to flat in less than 1-2 secs. any longer or staying raised means they are significantly hydrated.

if you give acidophilus or similar probiotic, powdered form is best. after weaning rabbits no longer produce lactase to breakdown dairy products so youghurt can make them ill (tho no-one knows exactly how long after weaning...). The probiotics "Bene-bac" (providing "beneficial bacteria" for avian species) and "Probiocin" (used most often for canine and feline species) have also been used to provide beneficial bacteria in rabbits and rabbit babies. The banana flavor of Bene-bac is popular with rabbits, which makes it easy to administer. No documentation has proven either product to be detrimental, although likewise, none exists supporting its use (except manufacturer's claims.)

i agree with Jane over giving critical care if possible

Sending tons of vibes your way. I can't offer any advice, but just to let you know I am thinking of you and them x

sending loads of vibes you way xxxxxxx

come on little one pull through freecycle is waiting for you :love:

your doing the best you can becky xx

Do you know what they were eating before you took them in ? She said anything :roll: the list she gave me was shredded wheat, weetabix, bread, banana :?

Do you know why they are not with their Mum and how long they have been away from her ? They came away from mum the day i collected them, which was 2 days ago now... reason being, the owner was going away on holiday and her mum would only have her 2 bunnies and not the babies. The owner swore blind they were 8 weeks old

If they have been off milk for more than 48 hours I'd be inclined to give them Critical Care feeds rather than Goat's Milk :?

Does the anorexic Buns tummy feel bloated and has he/she passed any faeces ? Hes tummy isnt as rounded as the bigger bunnies. He is passing droppings but mainly soft

Is he/she drinking ? Hes drinking water

It would be good to get some Fibreplex into them aswell as a water soluable probiotic.

xx

The vet spoke to me on the phone but couldnt advise much without seeing them :? I dont want to take them out in the cold unless i absolutely have too. She put some Avipro plus aside for me which ive just collected... shall i add this to the water rather than the milk?

The vet spoke to me on the phone but couldnt advise much without seeing them :? I dont want to take them out in the cold unless i absolutely have too. She put some Avipro plus aside for me which ive just collected... shall i add this to the water rather than the milk?

I'd definately only give Critical Care with some of the probiotic added.

If you haven't got CC then you can make up a liquid feed by soaking some pellets in cooled boiled water, mash them down then add more cooled boiled water til its syringable. Add some Avipro to it too.

Once they have had a few feeds you may find they will lap it from a bowl.

If you can harvest a couple of caecotrophs from a healthy adult Rabbit and mix some into a feed that would be the best way to establish a more healthy gut flora. Might make you want to throw up though........... :?

I'd definately only give Critical Care with some of the probiotic added.

If you haven't got CC then you can make up a liquid feed by soaking some pellets in cooled boiled water, mash them down then add more cooled boiled water til its syringable. Add some Avipro to it too.

Once they have had a few feeds you may find they will lap it from a bowl.

If you can harvest a couple of caecotrophs from a healthy adult Rabbit and mix some into a feed that would be the best way to establish a more healthy gut flora. Might make you want to throw up though........... :?

Yep i have CC, will sort that out now then. The vet did mention about the caecotrophs on the phone :mrgreen: I shall ask Ronnie for some later :lol:

Thanks so much Jane, your a star xXx

how are the babys now becky xx

Still no improvement with the little one :( We've given him some Critical care and ive put a shallow bowl of it in with them. Big bunny is eating it all though!! I think the big one will be fine, hes an elephant :lol: xXx

I've only just seen the pics and I am assuming this is the poorly one

100_1844.jpg

100_1843.jpg

I am affraid he/she looks bloaty to me :cry:

Has he/she had any pain relief and do you have any Gripe Water ?

Becky, please be wary of anyone diagnosing through a photograph. If you fill the baby with too many different things it may have an adverse effect.

Back