• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Please may Thumper have get well wishes

thumps_

Wise Old Thumper
He was doing so well with hay eating & drinking but things went wrong very quickly. He was obviously very hungry but only eating a few mouthfuls on Tues. He had a dental yesterday, & all went well, but he's still slow to eat today, hardly drinking, & trying so hard, despite buprenorphine with his dental & metacam last night. Pooping well but they're tiny, "not eaten enough" poops. A dental has usually sorted him out reasonably by now.

We know that our buns hide pain well, but this little bun tries to hide that he needs a dental now, & rushes to chomp hay or drink, if I'm watching! I worry too much as although he's in the best hands, he's needing a dental every 4 - 6 weeks. We're a bit stuck for fiber as the gales have blown the last leaves off the trees, & his tummy isn't used to grass.
So get well wishes are really appreciated.

Oh Thumps_, I'm really sorry to hear that.

Get well soon little Thumper and keep on eating that hay. X

We know that our buns hide pain well, but this little bun tries to hide that he needs a dental now, & rushes to chomp hay or drink, if I'm watching!

How strange, that's just what Ginger did all summer. When we finally had him done his poor little mouth was a right state! The funny thing is he hadn't hidden it the previous 2 times. Maybe they began to associate it? That is interesting.

Loads of vibes for Thumper. It may just be that his mouth is a little tender after the dental, an he'll eat more as it recovers in the next few days. Come on Thumps, nom-noms!

i hope thumper feels better soon and begins to eat well:wave: i'll think about him whilst i'm trying to tempt esme (same sort of poop issue following a dental).

How strange, that's just what Ginger did all summer. When we finally had him done his poor little mouth was a right state! The funny thing is he hadn't hidden it the previous 2 times. Maybe they began to associate it? That is interesting.

Loads of vibes for Thumper. It may just be that his mouth is a little tender after the dental, an he'll eat more as it recovers in the next few days. Come on Thumps, nom-noms!

Thumps definitely associates it. There's his behaviour before a dental, & boy does he know when I make the vets appointment! Then as soon as he comes home a rush to his water bowl, a few mouthfuls of hay, & he stays on his toilet for hours. (The one really safe place where I won't pick him up to go to the vet. Just making sure he's home to stay)

Thumps- what leaves does he need?

I still have apple tree leaves i could post you -there are some nut leaves too on the nut tree but they are yellowing?.

pm me ur address and I will send asap.

best wishes for a speedy recovery -sue:wave:

Thanks folks - something's working. A quick trip for bunny food resulted in a whole stem of Brussels sprouts WITH the top on - & bunch of carrots WITH the tops on. That's like gold dust round here!

Aww poor little thumber. I wish him well. This is just a suggestion instead giving him hay why don't you try giving him dry grass it's got more goodness in it that hay has plus it's softer too.

i hope thumper feels better soon and begins to eat well:wave: i'll think about him whilst i'm trying to tempt esme (same sort of poop issue following a dental).

We've got a bit of success. I've just chopped up the brussels tops, carrot tops, grated carrot & apple really small so he doesn't have to chew so much & he's taken the greens. Relief! cos I try to avoid starch & sugars in fruit & root veg, to stop his gut playing up.

I've also cut his favourite hay into 1/4" pieces & poured just off the boil water on it - it's absorbed quite a lot of water nicely.
To save anyone else doing the experiment - it's definitely"easier on the mouth". He may not eat until this evening now - Afternoon is resting time.
[Apparently most buns drink more when they need a dental, but mine drinks less & then gets urine sludge & difficulty weeing. I doubt if he'll eat dry food until he's drinking again :roll:]

Your comments & advice really help me to think things through. Thank you.

Thumps- what leaves does he need?

I still have apple tree leaves i could post you -there are some nut leaves too on the nut tree but they are yellowing?.

pm me ur address and I will send asap.

best wishes for a speedy recovery -sue:wave:

That is so kind & generous of you sdf76. I'm sorry we cross posted. He usually eats sloe (blackthorn) in Autumn, but likes apple too.
[Last time he was admitted there was a stasis bun in at the same time that just wouldn't eat, but wolfed down some of Thumper's "recovery" sloe leaves. It makes me wonder if there's something that helps their tummies in them]

I'm just back from the copse at the back,where there are some sheltered crab apples. Found that I'm past my prime in tree climbing :oops: but at least I didn't fall out of them, & got quite a few leaves. What we do for our buns eh? :lol::lol::lol:

[Apparently most buns drink more when they need a dental, but mine drinks less & then gets urine sludge & difficulty weeing.

my bridge bunny used to drink less too due to a spur which kept piercing his tongue,immobilising it so he had problems drinking.His dentals used to be based on timing rather than observations as by the time he stopped eating and drinking his tongue would be pierced again.
Vibes for Thumper!!

I'm sorry not to have seen this until now. I hope Thumper is feeling better now after his dental.
Do you dry leaves for him to eat through the winter or does he prefer them fresh?

Back