• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help needed - Bond not good :(

BeatrixPotter

Mama Doe
Peter and Posy were rebonded 3 weeks ago. For those who dont remember they were originally bonded in July and they were very loved up almost immediately.

July2009-Bonding007.jpg

Then in early september Posys hormoned arrived and they had a fight. I separated them until she had been spayed and recovered. It was about 6 weeks in total.

All 4 of my buns went on a bonding holiday to bond them as a group but it didnt work so Peter and Posy were rebonded as a couple. They went back together quite happily.

Since coming home things havent been great. They are not loved up and every time I go out with food Peter will chase Posy and not in a nice way. Occassionally there is fur pulling and sometimes Posy will scream.:cry: I have checked her over and she has no wounds but it is very obviously distressing for her. Peter is very dominant over her which she doesnt like. He has to have everything first even my attension. Last nights scuffle started because I spoke to Posy first.

I can watch them from the window and its very calm when I'm not there although they are usually apart. Its getting to the point when I dont want to go see them incase my presence starts Peter off.

Will this improve? Should I give up on the bond? I really cant have 6 buns if they both need different partners.:cry:

They are right next to them but with a board between so they can't see each other. The only other place for them would be opposite which would mean they were further apart, 12ft, but could then see each other.

I am really starting to think its me thats the problem.:cry: I can watch them from inside and see no problems at all. I would have thought if Leo and Lila were upsetting Peter then the problem would carry on when I wasnt there too? I went out to see them a few minutes ago and Posy came up for a nose rub which I gave her, Peter immediately went for her and chased her round. I stopped him quite easily and then he demanded nose rubs from me. If I give them both nose rubs at the same time thats ok with him.

hi has peter been castrated that happened with my last peir and i got both done and had no botter from them after that :wave:

You need to respect the heirachy and only give Peter attention first. I know it'll be hard, but always acknowledge him first and initially ignore Posy.

Also, do you use a bowl to feed them their pellets ? Scattering food may be a better option, again ensuring you scatter the first amount near Peter.

You need to respect the heirachy and only give Peter attention first. I know it'll be hard, but always acknowledge him first and initially ignore Posy.

Also, do you use a bowl to feed them their pellets ? Scattering food may be a better option, again ensuring you scatter the first amount near Peter.

Thanks thats a good idea. I do use a bowl but will try scatter feeding. I have done it before when they first came back but then it caused more trouble as they raced from pellet to pellet. Maybe 2 bowls would be better?

Its such a shock to see Peter like this. He's always been so calm and laid back before.:(

Thanks thats a good idea. I do use a bowl but will try scatter feeding. I have done it before when they first came back but then it caused more trouble as they raced from pellet to pellet. Maybe 2 bowls would be better?

Its such a shock to see Peter like this. He's always been so calm and laid back before.:(

I think that with time and patience things can improve. The bond has had numerous challenges in recent months, it may take as many months, if not longer, for things to go back to how they were at the start.

The thing to remember is the more Peter has his 'authority' over Posy tested (by the presence of other Rabbits at feed time, by you giving attention to Posy etc...etc... ) the more he will feel the need to re-assert himself as 'top Bun' (by chasing and bullying Posy).

It might be a good idea to get both Peter and Posy checked over by a Vet too just incase there is any physical reason why Peter is bullying.

Back