• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Compatibility

Stacey84

Young Bun
Hi

I was hoping anyone would have a good idea of what temperment would be more compatible with my buck.

He was the runt of the litter and was the first to be weaned onto solids. One day the owner went to feed the bunnies and found him huddled in the corner as the other ate.
Worried she took him indoors and he started eating straight away. She found that he was probably pushed out all the time when feeding which is probably why he started eating solids first. The others weren't aggressive with him but when he'd be in the hutch with them he'd be huddled in the corner, so she took him inside and he flurished.

Now a happy little housebunny with me I am looking for a companion for him. I'm torn between two rabbits with different personalities.
One is the first to hop onto your lap for cuddles. The other is really placid, sometimes keeps to itself and chills out.

So, for my boy who perhaps wasn't the most confident boy with other rabbits.. do you think he'll need a rabbit that seems a bit shy or a rabbit that is probably on par with him?

I just don't know how he'll feel about sharing food seeing how things were when he was a baby. Do you think he might push a younger bun around?

I read Cheryl's thread about bonding but thought perhaps anyone would be able to say which of the two rabbits has more potential for a successful bonding with my chap.

Are both buns at a rescue? Most rescues are experienced in this sort of thing, can advise what is most likely to work and will bond them for you for a donation.

Is he neutered yet? Rescues will require him to be neutered and will spay the female you bond him with before the bonding takes place.

Good luck :wave:

Thanks Rhian.

He's not done yet. He's 12 weeks old. I can take him with me and they can try introductions, but it doesn't mean it may be the same at home.

I was hoping they could hold onto the rabbit for me until my boy's had the snip. Not fair really is it. *sigh* Okay. I'll see if either is still there three weeks after surgery. You are right, and sensible.

It means double snuggles for little man in the meantime at least. :D

He is about the right age to be checked by a vet to see if he can be castrated although I suspect if he was the runt of the litter he won't be ready until 20-24 weeks if his development is behind.

Lots of rescues will hold onto the pair until they are getting along well and not send them home until then. It is normally obvious within the first hour or so of meeting if the bond is possible or not. If they hate each other they will le you know about it.

If your bun is a runt go for a nice sturdy breed[if there is such a thing]that perhaps are not so prone to health problems[again,not sure if one exists] because my B & her siblings were all runts,I guess,as they all had a bad start with a novice breeder & She has many health problems,I find it difficult to cope with her health problems at times,emotionally,& if Dill was a sickly bun too,it would be a nightmare.Not saying all runts have health problems,but it is likely.
Dont get a bun that is likely to stress him out.Not sure how old your bun is but if he hasn't shown any signs of health problems already,you may be ok.B started to have problems 2 weeks after we got her,with muscle wastage.
Hope this helps.:D

Back