• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

gut stimulant & pineapple juice?

poppymoon

Wise Old Thumper
is it ok to give esme some pineapple juice? she had a shot of gut stimulant this morning and she is pooping - they're just really tiny. after the tussles yesterday tho, she did seem to munch on quite a bit of eric's fur.

think i should give her some pineapple?

I don't know, Beau has a blockage, and I feel really awful cos I stopped buying papaya tablets, cos they've replaced the ones we used to have with some extortianately priced ones, now I wish I'd just paid the money :cry: At least I knew they worked.

papaya tablets. i'll add them to my first aid wish list.

i've just bought some organic babyfood - apples and bananas, and carrots apples and parsnips, to have in (it says it will last a year) if they decide to refuse food. it has no additives. i wouldn't offer much, obviously. would i get away with it, or are there potentially serious consequences?

I would personally by wary of too much pineapple juice, fruit etc, as the sugar may upset her gut balance further. I would concentrate on increasing her intake of water and fibre, with fresh grass and leafy things, plus some tasty hays. Subcut fluids may be helpful xx

I would personally by wary of too much pineapple juice, fruit etc, as the sugar may upset her gut balance further. I would concentrate on increasing her intake of water and fibre, with fresh grass and leafy things, plus some tasty hays. Subcut fluids may be helpful xx

thanks for the advice. she had 2 syringes of fluids this morning and has eaten a few pieces of greens and some green beans. she also pinched a bit of the banana i was sat eating whilst fussing her:oops: she'll happily take a fenugreek crunchie and some 'nature's salad' but she's got no interest at all in pellets and i've only seen her eat a small amount of green oat hay.

the poops are plentiful, just really small, very dark and a bit sticky. i've just added some bio lapis to her water too.

i'm a bit dubious about syringe feeding her right now as she is eating little and often so i want to keep encouraging that by offering her lots of tasty stuff.

think i'm doing the right thing?

Yes, I think if she is eating little and often. Is she drinking?

yes but i'm not sure how much (difficult with a bowl as i'm not sure how much evaporates and how much gets spilt).

i just offered her some wet greens but she wasn't interested. she ate them after they had dried earlier.

odd thing is, as she's eating i can hear her teeth clanking together (esme eats very quickly!) so i'm wondering if she's just not used to them feeling 'normal'.... maybe this could be adding to her angst:?

You could be right, It does takes a while to get used to your mouth feeling different after having dental work. If the mouth was sore before the dental it will take some time to heal too. Is she on any pain relief at home?
Re the small poos, fibreplex may help

You could be right, It does takes a while to get used to your mouth feeling different after having dental work. If the mouth was sore before the dental it will take some time to heal too. Is she on any pain relief at home?
Re the small poos, fibreplex may help

i don't know if her mouth was sore before - she ate everything in sight and my vet has checked her teeth a few times (i like to keep on top of dental probs if i can) and this was the first time she said i'll need to do them. when i adopted her, her teeth were 'long' so maybe it just feels different to what she's used to:? she's been enjoying her treats and nose rubs tho and enjoying exploring the other room (hope i've bunny proofed it enough for tonight:shock:)

doesn't explain her taking chunks out of eric tho:(

i don't have any pain relief for her at home (i had to ask for a shot this morning).

i'll try and get hold of some fibreplex tomorrow. i feel blooming awful having her teeth sorted out to prevent her feeling poorly has caused so much trouble. hope i can get her happy and well and put them back together - itching to do that but vet said no:(

Hia, there a few trains of though on pineapple - the sugar can be bad but the enzyms good - has to be fresh though. If she is eating and pooping I would leave off. Sounds like everyting is moving and you just need to up the fibre, lost of posh hay should help! Mine are addicted to herbage with dandelion and marigold - maybe get some of that to try?

Hia, there a few trains of though on pineapple - the sugar can be bad but the enzyms good - has to be fresh though. If she is eating and pooping I would leave off. Sounds like everyting is moving and you just need to up the fibre, lost of posh hay should help! Mine are addicted to herbage with dandelion and marigold - maybe get some of that to try?

posh hay!!!!?? lord eric will only eat the finest so esme gets the best too:lol: she does seem to be eating bits - just a worry that her beautiful big golden poops have become alarmingly small, dark and yak. i'll launch an assault on the shops tomorrow for some different hays to try and tempt her. weird she ignores her pellets tho - thats so unlike her. suppose i ought to give it time (grrrr patience really isn't my thing:censored::oops:) but its horrible having them in 2 different rooms - i'm wandering about like a spare part:roll:

posh hay!!!!?? lord eric will only eat the finest so esme gets the best too:lol: she does seem to be eating bits - just a worry that her beautiful big golden poops have become alarmingly small, dark and yak. i'll launch an assault on the shops tomorrow for some different hays to try and tempt her. weird she ignores her pellets tho - thats so unlike her. suppose i ought to give it time (grrrr patience really isn't my thing:censored::oops:) but its horrible having them in 2 different rooms - i'm wandering about like a spare part:roll:

Aww bless !! Mine were used to hay from farm bales.... until I introduced the herbage.... what a mistake ! Now I have fussy buns!! The pellets may just be too hard for her right now - try mushing some up? Plus.... if you are giving her lots of lovely extras and fussing she won't feel the need to eat the hay and pellets maybe? I know whenever I fret about mine, I do the Fenugreek crunchie test - if they eat one they are fine!!

Aww bless !! Mine were used to hay from farm bales.... until I introduced the herbage.... what a mistake ! Now I have fussy buns!! The pellets may just be too hard for her right now - try mushing some up? Plus.... if you are giving her lots of lovely extras and fussing she won't feel the need to eat the hay and pellets maybe? I know whenever I fret about mine, I do the Fenugreek crunchie test - if they eat one they are fine!!

snap! if the fenugreek crunchie goes there ain't too much wrong. i tried mushing some pellets up yesterday - she threw the dish around in disgust:roll: its just not like her to refuse any kind of food:? poops still small so i'll be on the phone to the vets later. added prob is that they're both used to company - each others and mine. i can't be in 2 places at once AND getting ready for the house move so now they both seem miserable and not eating much:cry:

Has she had some recovery & pain relief?

I have a blocked up bun this morning too - I'm going back home in a couple of hours to check the poo situation. I just bought some pineapple juice but will mix it with water first

Has she had some recovery & pain relief?

I have a blocked up bun this morning too - I'm going back home in a couple of hours to check the poo situation. I just bought some pineapple juice but will mix it with water first

i have a sachet of recovery but yesterday's vet said not to give it if she was eating voluntarily at all:? she had pain relief yesterday when i took her (had to ask) but there was no soreness inside her mouth and she had no gas in her tum (there was poo there tho). she's eating less so pooping less but what a worry:( if i give her the recovery she won't be hungry enough to eat will she?

Back