• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Question about e.coniculi

tomswife29

Young Bun
My rabbit Michelle is having surgery friday to get a tumor removed from her abdomen, and they did blood tests to make sure everything else was normal. my vet said she might have e. coniculi and after the surgery fri she would need to do another test and then give her medicine. the problem is, someone said in another post if shes not showing symptoms, then she might not have it. michelle is acting normal as far as i know she is not showing any symptoms. she has a tumor and an abscess which is being treated w baytril. she has lost some weight which i thought might be bc of the tumor, but as of now she is eating veggies hay, and a little bit of her pellots(tho not as much as id like her to ) anyways, ive spent $700 on her in the past couple days, and the surgery is another $627, all of this is being borrowed from my dad who can hardly afford to pay his rent. the vet said the test and meds would be another $122, but i thought i read somewhere that u can just treat them wout taking the test, which my vet said no to. i have two other bunnys at home who live near michelle and theres no way i can pay $400 to test and treat them all. i dont know what to do...the other 2 bunnies show no symptoms as well...

As far as i am aware, the blood tests will only say if there has been active EC at some point, it wont confirm if there is active infection.

I have always refused the blood tests for this, as i see little point, but i do a 9 day preventative course on all my buns every 3 - 6 months. If you fear there may be an EC breakout there is no harm in giving your bunnies a 28 day course of panacur.

Just ensure with your vet it wont interfere with any other meds your bun will be on after the op. Hope all goes well.

The treatment is a worming product called Fenbendazole. This is widely available in the U.K. as a rabbit worming paste called Panacur and also as a liquid for cats and dogs. You don't need a prescription over here. I'm afraid I don't know what the availability is like in the U.S.. Perhaps you can have a search around for any worming products that contain Fenbendazole and see how much they contain. Someone on here can advise you on the dosage if you can find the 10% solution.

im looking but i dont think its over the counter here which is why my vet is saying she needs to do the test so she can prescribe it. its going to cost me 400 to bring in the other two rabbits and get them tested and treated, and they arent showing any symptoms. i dont have the money to bring them in , im barely going to be able to pay for michelles surgery and testing for it. if i get michelle treated for it, and not the other 2, will it be a waste since she may get it again from them?

Try giving Barbi Brown a phone, she is in the US and is great with bunnies.

http://www.barbibrownsbunnies.com/

Maybe she could point you in the right direction of where to buy Panacur online. I ws thinking i could have send you some from here, but i dunno about it getting through customs etc, so might not be worth the risk.

you could try ordering itr froma British web site..it it can be sent to the States they'd know..or inform you if not possible..try it:D

Back