• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Putting weight on my buck

petparadise123

Mama Doe
Charlie my 8 month old Angora has always been quite thin though now that he is bonded and loose in a 6x8 shed he has lost more weight which Id say is due to him always binkying! He has all sorts of veg and is on D&A rabbit pellets atm. He eats a fair bit of hay:) what can i give him to put on weight? He has a bit of hard bread about once a week as do all my others as well:)

how are you giving him his hay? Ive noticed that if I give fresh hay twice a day then they will eat more than if I feed a lot, once a day. You could also try varying his hay. Mine like readigrass and the excel

I think I would have him checked out by a vet, just to rule out teeth problems and the like. Cherry showed absolutely no signs of bad teeth, except weight loss.

Once this is done, try seperating from his pal during tea (pellets and veggies), he may just eat slower. Keep an eye on his weight.

I would try upping pellets, introducing porridge oats (mixed with warm water) weetabix/shredded wheat, my guys go mad for them

Meusli mix (Gradually added in with usuall food), hobnobs, oats and pet shop treats are usually the best.

They are sort of like a rich tea biscuit. It was Jay from Ebony Eyes who recomended them to me. You should be able to get them in a supermarket, in the biscuit isle ;). When my wee Trio bun was alive i gave him about a quarter of a biscuit a day, he loved it.

If he is bonded, perhaps the other bunny is eating more mix than him. Might be wise to serve in two separate bowls and watch them eat their pellets.

If he is bonded, perhaps the other bunny is eating more mix than him. Might be wise to serve in two separate bowls and watch them eat their pellets.

Already do:)

His teeth were checked not long ago and are fine:D

They just have a load of hay in the corner to eat when they feel like:oops:

The other day i was almost out of bunny food so gave them a bit of guinea-pig food:oops: (only a little bit for 1 day til I got some more) and they ate it like crazy. :oops:Would it do them any harm? (I know you cant give piggies bunny food,but can you do vice-versa?) When I got him he was on a mix type of food and it looked almost the same:?

Thanks

thanks

I wouldnt feed the guinea mix personally :? Could you get hold of some SS pellets to mix in with his other pellets?

As others have said, oats with a bit of water and nana mixed in would be good for him, as are hobnobs :)

fresh hay 2/3 times a day will encourage him to eat more hay.

Back