• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

URGENT QUESTIONS for rabbit breeds essay...U/D 4 more please!!!!

VikkiVet

Mama Doe
Hi,
hopefully people remember the rabbit breed traits survey i conducted a few months back, for my university project.

Firstly a massive THANK YOU to everyone who completed it, for all the effort you made in answering the questions, the results are really interesting.

The project is due in a few weeks and i just need to ask a few more questions. It doesnt matter if you completed the survey or not, if you can spare a few minutes, please copy and paste the following questions into a new post and answer them as best you can.

I know most people on RU adopted rabbits from rescue, but please answer all questions that apply

THANK YOU!!!!!

1. Did you choose a specific breed of rabbit to own?
2. Did you research breeds before chosing your rabbit?
3. Where did you get your information from?
4. What features helped you choose a specific breed (colour, size, temperament...)?
5.Which breed(s) do you think have the most breed-related problems?
6. Would knowing the prevalence of breed related conditions affect your decision to own a particular breed?

Last edited:
1. Did you choose a specific breed of rabbit to own? Not Really
2. Did you research breeds before chosing your rabbit? Not particulary
3. Where did you get your information from? N/A
4. What features helped you choose a specific breed (colour, size, temperament...)?N/A
5.Which breed(s) do you think have the most breed-related problems? Possibly rexes or the long haired breeds, or maybe even giants
6. Would knowing the prevalence of breed related conditions affect your decision to own a particular breed? Possibly

Last edited:
1. Did you choose a specific breed of rabbit to own? No
2. Did you research breeds before chosing your rabbit? A little
3. Where did you get your information from? Internet and books
4. What features helped you choose a specific breed (colour, size, temperament...)? Chose a rescue so on temprement
5.Which breed(s) do you think have the most breed-related problems? Lops- teeth, Rexes- sore hocks
6. Would knowing the prevalence of breed related conditions affect your decision to own a particular breed? No

1. Did you choose a specific breed of rabbit to own? No, but I probably would be more drawn to certain breeds if I were to get more
2. Did you research breeds before chosing your rabbit? Yes
3. Where did you get your information from? BRC, Breeder Sites, Pet Sites
4. What features helped you choose a specific breed (colour, size, temperament...)? Size, colour, temperament
5.Which breed(s) do you think have the most breed-related problems? Polish (Temperament) and Netherland Dwarfs (Health)
6. Would knowing the prevalence of breed related conditions affect your decision to own a particular breed? Probably, although I allready know which breeds I like

1. Did you choose a specific breed of rabbit to own? Yes
3. Where did you get your information from? Internet
4. What features helped you choose a specific breed (colour, size, temperament...)? Size, temperament
5.Which breed(s) do you think have the most breed-related problems? Rexes - sore hocks, Nethies - teeth, English lops - ear infections etc
6. Would knowing the prevalence of breed related conditions affect your decision to own a particular breed? No

1. Did you choose a specific breed of rabbit to own?at first yes
2. Did you research breeds before chosing your rabbit?i knew some breeds but didnt really do alot into the breeds
3. Where did you get your information from?bought a book and spoke to rescue
4. What features helped you choose a specific breed (colour, size, temperament...)?i had a prefered breed but went on temprement for my last 2
5.Which breed(s) do you think have the most breed-related problems?lops for ears and teeth rexes for hocks rews nero probs and shortsightedness or blind
6. Would knowing the prevalence of breed related conditions affect your decision to own a particular breed?pending on situation and suitable accomadation maybe

yes I wanted a mini lop
Yes
This rabbit forum and by googling various sites on the Internet
4. What features helped you choose a specific breed (colour, size, temperament...)?
Colour was not important, size yes because I wanted indoor bunnies and thought (at the time!) small would be better!
Maybe Rexes?! but I think it's just pot luck any bunny can have problems pure breed or rescue!
6. Would knowing the prevalence of breed related conditions affect your decision to own a particular breed?[/QUOTE]
If I truly believed a particular breed was definately more likely to have problems then yes! :oops: but I actually dont believe that! Like I said I believe it's pot luck so it wouldn't stop me owning any breed!

Hi,
hopefully people remember the rabbit breed traits survey i conducted a few months back, for my university project.

Firstly a massive THANK YOU to everyone who completed it, for all the effort you made in answering the questions, the results are really interesting.

The project is due in a few weeks and i just need to ask a few more questions. It doesnt matter if you completed the survey or not, if you can spare a few minutes, please copy and paste the following questions into a new post and answer them as best you can.

I know most people on RU adopted rabbits from rescue, but please answer all questions that apply

THANK YOU!!!!!

1. Did you choose a specific breed of rabbit to own? No our first bun as adults was a black cross bread that was a stray & found his way to our house :)
2. Did you research breeds before chosing your rabbit? No as above he was a stray that found us, didn't have a lot of choice in breeds.
3. Where did you get your information from? After we'd taken in Roscoe, it was mass reading up in books & on the internet
4. What features helped you choose a specific breed (colour, size, temperament...)? None of ours were chosen because of specific breed etc. It's more about giving homes to some of the most needy buns & which ones will fit into our set up & current bunny brood.
5.Which breed(s) do you think have the most breed-related problems? I can't say from experience
6. Would knowing the prevalence of breed related conditions affect your decision to own a particular breed?
Absolutley not :)

2. Did you research breeds before chosing your rabbit? No
3. Where did you get your information from? N/A
4. What features helped you choose a specific breed (colour, size, temperament...)? N/A
5.Which breed(s) do you think have the most breed-related problems? Rexes, Nethies, Lionheads, Lops- basically those furthest removed from a Wild Rabbit's conformation and fur type.

2. Did you research breeds before chosing your rabbit? No
3. Where did you get your information from? N/a
4. What features helped you choose a specific breed (colour, size, temperament...)? We got a lop (3rd rabbit) at the rescue because it reminded us of our departed bun (1st rabbit)
5.Which breed(s) do you think have the most breed-related problems? From what I have read - Rex rabbits
6. Would knowing the prevalence of breed related conditions affect your decision to own a particular breed? It might unless the rabbit needed a home desperately like my first one did

No

No

N/A

N/A

From what I have read, rather than my own personal experience, i would say rexes, lops and giants

6. Would knowing the prevalence of breed related conditions affect your decision to own a particular breed?[/QUOTE]

Only if I felt that the breed's specific problem was one I couldn't deal with, ie I wouldn't get a rex unless I knew I could provide suitable flooring in the eveeg of sore hocks

1. Did you choose a specific breed of rabbit to own? At first yes but the last few ive chosen the rabbit not the breed.
2. Did you research breeds before chosing your rabbit? Yes I researched for ages before getting my first buns (lionheads)
3. Where did you get your information from? net,books spoke to other owners etc.
4. What features helped you choose a specific breed (colour, size, temperament...)? Available space and time (I have no space for a giant:( ), Temperment has never mattered-A few of mine were really nasty when I got them:(, or colour (I didnt used to like black buns but now have 3!)
5.Which breed(s) do you think have the most breed-related problems? English lops, rex (though mine never did), nethies.
6. Would knowing the prevalence of breed related conditions affect your decision to own a particular breed? not if i thought i would be able to provide the care it needed

3. Where did you get your information from? Online - search engines
4. What features helped you choose a specific breed (colour, size, temperament...)? I had a few breeds i was willing to choose from but temperament was one of the main things I guess.
5.Which breed(s) do you think have the most breed-related problems? Netherland dwarf - I think they tend to have more dental issues.
6. Would knowing the prevalence of breed related conditions affect your decision to own a particular breed? Yes, probably. But if a bunny needed a new home - I couldn't turn it away because of the possibility of an illness.

1. Did you choose a specific breed of rabbit to own? not really (rescues)
2. Did you research breeds before chosing your rabbit? a little
3. Where did you get your information from? internet
4. What features helped you choose a specific breed (colour, size, temperament...)? none in particular but i admit being drawn to lops
5.Which breed(s) do you think have the most breed-related problems? Hmmm, different problems with different breeds (eg teeth with lops, hocks with rexes etc)
6. Would knowing the prevalence of breed related conditions affect your decision to own a particular breed? To some extent - for example as our rabbits' run is on a paved surface i don't think we would ever get rexes because of their problems with sore hocks.

1. Did you choose a specific breed of rabbit to own? Yes
3. Where did you get your information from? Breeder's website, RWA website and Rabbiting On magazine, RU website.
4. What features helped you choose a specific breed (colour, size, temperament...)? Size and temperament
5.Which breed(s) do you think have the most breed-related problems? Have only ever owned medium sized lop rabbits- have had 1 rabbit with dental disease,the others all lived to a good age.
6. Would knowing the prevalence of breed related conditions affect your decision to own a particular breed? Yes

1. Did you choose a specific breed of rabbit to own? no
2. Did you research breeds before chosing your rabbit? no
3. Where did you get your information from? n/a
4. What features helped you choose a specific breed (colour, size, temperament...)? first one I picked because no-one else wanted him because of his colour, second was a 'free to good home', the other two were the right personalities to match the others
5.Which breed(s) do you think have the most breed-related problems? Netherland dwarves, lops, giants, rexes
6. Would knowing the prevalence of breed related conditions affect your decision to own a particular breed? Not really as I tend to pick the neediest rather than the easiest. Because of the RU audience I suspect you'll have substantially more people answer 'no' here than in the average world at large though :)

1. Did you choose a specific breed of rabbit to own?Yes
2. Did you research breeds before chosing your rabbit? yes
3. Where did you get your information from?Internet and books

4. What features helped you choose a specific breed (colour, size, temperament...)? size and temperament
5.Which breed(s) do you think have the most breed-related problems? Lops and rexes
6. Would knowing the prevalence of breed related conditions affect your decision to own a particular breed? Would depend on the condition and the chance of individual having a breed related condition ie is it common or not

Because of the RU audience I suspect you'll have substantially more people answer 'no' here than in the average world at large though :)[/B]

true, i realise its a slightly biased demographic, but that will be mentioned in the project. and you are my easiest and most ready source of information and opinions! :oops::lol:

1. Did you choose a specific breed of rabbit to own? no
2. Did you research breeds before chosing your rabbit? no
3. Where did you get your information from? i didnt researse until after i bought them.
4. What features helped you choose a specific breed (colour, size, temperament...)? n/a
5.Which breed(s) do you think have the most breed-related problems? nethies
6. Would knowing the prevalence of breed related conditions affect your decision to own a particular breed? yes

1. Did you choose a specific breed of rabbit to own? yes
2. Did you research breeds before chosing your rabbit? no, but my daughter did
3. Where did you get your information from? my daughter! and i read a bit on websites
4. What features helped you choose a specific breed (colour, size, temperament...)? pretty faces and not too big, and daughter was having the same kind...
5.Which breed(s) do you think have the most breed-related problems? anything rex (sorry, morse, it doesn't mean i don't adore you from afar!)
6. Would knowing the prevalence of breed related conditions affect your decision to own a particular breed? yes. i didn't know my mini lops were likely to have teeth problems. they don't seem to have any yet, but they are very reluctant to show anyone their peggies. having said that, who doesn't have health problems? they might have rejected me if they'd known...:)

Back