• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Update on loss of Jess and replacement

munrojock

Young Bun
Thanks for all the advice and swaying me to bonding another rabbit!!

Went to SSPCA in the Borders and picked up 'Fifi' who is currently wide eyed and being chased around the garden by Snowball, who is showing off that it's HIS garden and she better know it!! Quandary now is whether to lock her in with him in the run, I can't see any fur grabs on her bum, or keep them separate. My heart is saying lock them in together but if others have input.....

Oh, and she's probably still on the SSPCA site should anyone want to see 'Fudge'.

http://www.scottishspca.org/rehoming/animal/2041_fifi

Harris

sorry i dont know all the background to your bonding advice

have you introduced them in a neutral area? this is essential, and should be quite small i.e. the size of an average indoor cage. the space needs to be increased very slowly and only when they are very comfy with eachother and not being aggressive or territorial.

If your current bun already spends time in his house and garden and it isnt cleaned to make it 'neutral' its likely you will get fighting for territory so i wouldnt lock them in there if thats the case.

Can you give us more details on what you are doing and your set up?

Hi Vikki,

Hi, sorry, there goes me assuming again! One of the kids rabbits died on Monday and after some thought and questioning here I went to the SSPCA rehome up here to get a new girl. Put them both in the kids playhouse, which is pretty small AND neutral. Left them there while I sprayed and scrubbed and changed the contents of the hutch/run. No fur tugging or anything happened in my absence apart from the occasional foot slap when the original rabbit went for a sniff.

Have let them loose in the garden and there is some territorial stuff going on with the original fella chasing his new girl. She, understandably, is running away and just keeping her distance. I've decided to shut the run up just now and go back after I've finished typing this to see what's happened. If there are tufts of fur out of her bum and the likes, then I'll separate them for the night as I've got the space to do it.

I've been through this before but am by no means an expert and will listen to any advice given.

Harris

Good Luck hun - bonding is stressful - I thought I would have major probs bonding two girls but they love each other.

There are some real bonding experts on here who will happily give you advice - I am no expert x x x

Thanks Cat. I've just been out and they're keeping their distance from each other but Snowie is stamping his authority while Fudge foot stamps and runs whenever he gets close. Guess she's partly nervous about the new surroundings after 6 months at the SSPCA place in a wee hutch in a hut!! Anyhoo, will keep them apart tonight to let her calm down and his testosterone levels to decrease.

AND it's raining so best to leave them alone......for now!

Harris

Last edited:
Back