• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Stopped eating. Advice please

Rabscuttle

Warren Scout
I have a Conti giant. He is about 8 months old and has an enormous appetite normally.

In the last 24 hours though he has not touched his food.

Teeth, bottom and eyes seem normal. Behaviour is normal too. He has just stopped eating.

Any advice welcomed.

Your bunny could have a condition generally known as stasis,I would advise a visit to your vet as it is potentially very serious when a bun stops eating.How is your conti now?

Have you seen any poo?

I agree that you need to get the bun to a vet asap - this is urgent, I'm afraid to say.

Sounds like he needs the vets quite urgently. Usually they give a gut stimulant and a pain killer. If they don't offer then question them about it.

I also have a giant rabbit of the same age. Jack recently seemed to be off colour & was refusing to eat. I got him to the vet (rabbit expert - harcourt brown). He was admitted to the vets for 36 hours. He was syringe fed, which I would have really struggled with. Had he not started eating, he would have Bern sedated & x-rayed as a blockage was suspected. Jack was clearly in discomfort & was given metacam and baytrill. Getting him expert care was absolutley the right thing to do & advise you do the same. I really hope your rabbit is ok.......but don't think you should take any chances. Good luck. Jill

Took your advice.

Vet gave the jab. No better this morning. Back to the vet in half an hour from now.

Thanks all.

I suspect your bun needs lots of fluids - the vet should really admit the bun rather than giving a gut stimulant, say, and sending you both home. Has pain relief been given? That's really important (eg. Metacam, by injection).

Good luck. x

Rabs was admitted with the aim of putting him on a drip.

However…

As soon as he was put in the cage at the vets he started to eat.:shock:

He stayed overnight and continued to eat drink and poo.:D

He is home now and though he is not back to his old voracious self he is eating again. It seems that the medication took a little while to take effect.

I have to give him 10ml of Zantac syrup twice a day for a few days. I now have all of my fingers crossed and quite a few other bits of me too.

Thank you all for caring. You can't know how much the fact that you were just there and caring has helped me.

:love:

Glad bun seems a lot better. You may well have saved his life taking him to the vets as quickly as you did.

Hope he continues to improve x

Back