• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Phoebe Didn't Want Breakfast

SuzieBlue

Young Bun
I think I'm being totally paranoid but would really like some advice!

This morning i did the usual routine - let Phoebe and Nermal out of their cage first thing and let them run around while I got myself ready, then got Phoebe's breakfast (she's currently switching from a mix to excel) and put her in the wee cage while Nermal had his brekkie on the floor. He's a pig and she's really delicate so I have to keep them separated or she'd never get anything!
I went to get my own breakfast (see how it works in my house? - animals first...) and when i went back about 15 mins later Phoebe had hardly touched her food. Nermal of course was finished within 30 seconds, but she normally takes 10-15 mins to eat, have a drink and then a wash, then finish the food. I realised that as i'd put her in her own cage (she shares Nermal's cage at night- they're inseparable these days) her water bottle was empty so i thought this might have discouraged her from eating. I put her in Nermal's cage with the full water bottle and left her for another 10 mins, and she did drink but didn't want to go back to her food. She jumped out the cage when I opened it and tore around the room before flopping out next to Nermal, so she's acting normally... :D

Before I left for work, I gave them both a wee bit of carrot just so I could watch her eating, in case she was in any pain that i hadn't spotted, but she was absolutely fine - wolfed it down, crunched away and was looking for more.. She's been pooping and peeing fine (there's an obvious difference between Nermal the heffalump's poos and Phoebe's, so I can tell who's is who's) , is eating hay and otherwise normal, just not really bothered about her dry food today. I asked my boyfriend (who had a lazy morning) to try her again with some food before he left for work at ten, but he said she just had a slight nibble and wandered off.

Is this the early sign of a problem do you think? I'm going to be home around half 4, so will see if she'll have her dinner at 5pm - if she's not bothered i'd like to take her to the vet in the morning regardless of whether she's still bright and acting normally or not, as i really don't want her to be ill... She's only 3 1/2 months old and has so far been really healthy..

I think I'm extra nervous about everything as I'm sitting my driving test soon, so it may be that I'm completely over-reacting, and I wanted to check with some (hopefully) calmer people....... :oops:

My bunny refused breakfast this morning and has now been admitted :( so I'd take her and get her checked out at the vets, to be honest.

esme's not bothered with pellets or greens atm. we've been to the vets this morning and she's had several various shots but to see her without an appetite is very alarming:(

i hope phoebe is ok and libby, hope beau gets sorted:)

Thanks everyone - good news! Have come home, was greeted at the door by two happy buns, and put Phoebe's bowl down to her to have a look at (with a few fresh pellets). I hardly had a chance to get it to the floor before she stuck her head in and got chowed down! Have moved her into the cage so she can get to her water bottle, but she's going to finish it all i think, yeay! She's pooed today, and peed i think too, but will keep an eye out. I'm off work till next Thursday, and my local vet practice does about 4 open surgeries per day, so if i see any hint that she's not happy or if she doesn't want breakfast tomorrow, i'll take her straight in. Hopefully won't need to... She's very bright at the moment and her usual self, so let's just hope she just wasn't that hungry this morning...
Relief!!

Back