• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How many people's buns are totally fine with being picked up?

Candiflare

Mama Doe
All the buns I've had in my life (all 8 of them) have always been fine with being held (well some of them have felt tense while I was holding them, but most of them have been relaxed.) I've heard stories on here of some buns that have never been properly picked up and held by their owners. Have I just been lucky?

i have 2 buns, rexy and coco, they both love to be fussed and stroked and really love having quality time with us but neither like to be picked up, rexy especially gets cross and will try to bite but he is a real softy when he is on the ground, you should feel very honoured your buns like a cuddle:)

Max, Lola and Brian are fine with being cuddled and picked up.:lol: Lola the most though, she loves it I think :shock:. Max is a proper lap bunny though he'll sit on your knee for a good hour solid so long as you stroke him and give him a good nose rub! :lol:

Lenny and Mimah! No chance. :lol:

All of mine are fine with being picked up.... Dreamer took some work but he's a little angel now and quite likes a cuddle.

freecycle loves being picked up but she is to heavy :lol::lol::lol::lol:

:lol::lol: i wish Ronnie and Lola would let us pick them up :( They hate it. If they know we're trying to pick them up, they run off into the run :lol:

Lottie and George dont mind being picked up :) Lottie grunts a little so by choice i would say she does mind ;) George isnt bothered at all :)

Oreo does and will quite happily sit in your arms,

Sooty doesnt particulary. She doesnt bite but just wriggles and wriggles, I never really pick her up now though she will jump up on your lap and loves strokes and nose rubs.

My two bunnies Cookie ( 7 months ) and Honey ( 3 months ) are fine being picked up and will come to me to be picked up. I know people moan on here about breeders but both of mine were bought from the same breeder ( not at the same time). She handles them from when they are very young and both love cuddles and fuss and as I said above will come to me when called. They never scratch or bite and are very confident bunnies. Of course there are breeders who shouldn't be so but there are also some good ones about. In fact this breeder encourages you to send her photos and keep her updated on their progress.
I completely understand the argument about using rescues and have done in the past and have been involved in rehoming an unwanted bunny direct from their owner. I decided that for a change I wanted mine from young as I'd always had bunnies and guinea pigs that were about 1 year onwards.
I do have a big problem with animals being sold in pet shops. Generally they are not looked after and handled/loved as they should prior to being sold. My neighbour bought a bunny from a pet shop the week before I got Cookie and she can not get near her bunny which is such a shame for her and the bunny. They are both missing out.
Sorry sort of got of the subject but do think how they are raised from young makes a huge impact on their future. I would not recommend anyone to buy a pet from a pet shop, choose either a rescue or do your rescearch and find a reputable breeder.

:wave: Gizmo who I have had from a baby and held from a baby (properly) will be picked up but, I know he doesn't like it, he much prefers me to go to his level or he will jump on my lap. Haven't tried with my adopted doe, I know from what Leanne said she won't like it so won't do it-I just go to her level and she is lovely.

Rainbow will be picked up but you can tell he isnt keen on it, Jose runs a mile as soon as you go to pick her up :roll:

Deej will let you pick him up, but you can tell he's happier having snuggles and kisses once you sit or lie down, and he can get comfy! He also doesn't much like being carried upstairs, I can feel him tense up a little bit.

doc lovessssssssss being picked up

beth yer ok you got to catch me first

biggles i swear suffers bad vertigo the way he acts when i pick him up, hes ok once ive got a firm grip

carrie drop me and ill rip your throat out :shock:

frosty "sigh" okkkkkkkk do the checks then put me down if you dont you will get only ONE warning nip

Nicholas and Miffy dont really like being picked up, and scrabble and sulk (unless we are at the vets, then they snuggle up to me!). Nick will sit on the floor and get noserubs for ages though. :roll::lol:

Hunny doesn't like it, but will let me for a while, she prefers short snuggles on the ground. :)

Mustard is just nuts, he'll happily be picked up, but when he decides to go, he just dives, so I have to be quick! :lol:

Sally is completley different! She'd sit in my arms all day! She LOVES cuddles, she tries to climb up my legs and will sit and lick my neck and shoulders while she's being carried. :love:

I suppose it's like human personalities, they are all different.

Both mine arent keen really.
The trouble is, Dell has such powerful back legs she just has to fling them about and wriggle and shes free :roll:
They both love cuddles on the floor though, and will let you proper snuggle :love:

I have seven and only one! Oliver my housebun doesn't mind it at all (unless he wants to run about for a bit longer :roll::lol:)

Cuddles .

Allor , recently me and Oh rehomed a bunny, the lady who had her before picked her up alot , she scrambled admittedly , but once cuddled was fine utterly still . but when me and my O.h try , even sat down on the floor , she doesnt want to know ,
do we keep trying ? or let do as she wants if shes not happy ,
or are we doing it wrong ? Under the chest and under the bum ???
:oops:

all three of mine will tolerate being pick up to be put in the run for example, but if pick up to be cuddles with sit for about 30 seconds then start squirming wanting to get down.
they all prefer being stroked and petted on the floor.

It all depends on the rabbit,I have had bunnies which dont mind being picked up and I have had bunnies which hate it.

Out of my six most are quite happy to be picked up, whilst others tolerate it. Only one makes a fuss but its not consistant, just depends what mood she it in. They are definately happier once they are snuggled on my lap though, than when I am moving around.

Back