• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding with a petrified girly bun

p_prod_uk

Mama Doe
Hi, I'm trying to bond myself a little better with Bella but she is absolutely terrified of everything, including me.
I've had her about 10 days now and have sat with her a few times and spoken gently etc and waited for her to come up to me, but she doesn't.

I've tried leaving her on her own without me stressing her out, but she's not coming out of her shell.

I was sitting in with her tonight for about 20 mins, just talking gently and holding some cabbage and she very cautiously came up to it, and as her nose touched it she flinched and ran off.

Is it possible she has bad eye sight do you think?

She's been at the vets and they've not mentioned anything, but I guess they weren't looking for eye problems.

She's used to being scruffed whenever she's picked up, so she's petrified of being picked up.

I'm at a loss of how I can make her feel safe with me and not so scared.

I realise this could take months for her to feel ok with me, but what can I do to help her?

I got a very quick and gentle stroke of the nose tonight, but her breathing was very rapid so obviously very scared, so I didn't prolong it.

Any advice? :cry:

Food, time, and patience are the only things I have found useful.

Is she bonded with another bun? Because when I got Skye she panicked every time someone sneezed, but since we bonded her with Apache she is really bold :D

It took 6 months with Rambi just to get him to let me stroke him a little. We have had him a year and yesterday he was sucking my fingers :love: (apple juice leftover from a very juicy apple - he has no front teeth!). You'll get there

Sorry, time and patience are the only things, all washed down with plenty of food!

You didn't say what kind of bun you have. Some are naturally more highly strung and are slow to come round.

Try sitting with her on your knee for a few minutes til she learns nothing bad is going to happen to her (it will take ages). Add in a treat or two. Make sure the room is quiet when you do it. In time she'll settle down and gain confidence because you'll be Mum!

Patience patience patience!!!

Good luck

Deb

Suki became friendlier after bonding with my really friendly bun, so it may happen when she is happier & settled anyway:D

Back