• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Curvature of the spine...Jacks Jane,what do you think???

yvette

Wise Old Thumper
Lily had an xray today.her teeth are fine to take out...no abcesses etc.The vet found a long piece of straw/hay/grass up Lilys left nostril too...may stop the snot??I dont know....
But the most interesting thing we discovered is that Lilys spine is not like normal bunnies.Up by the shoulder blades,she has a 45 degree hump.The spine is normal then it comes up about an inch and goes back down.A bit like you see on a heart moniter!! Compared to a normal bunny spine....its a kyphosis.
If the nerves get trapped,she may have rear leg weakness,so my vet thinks.Any ideas or experience?????

Sounds like you have a very knowledgable rabbit vet.

Teeth prospects look good and the hay is probably what is causing the runny nose, as it will be aggravating the nerves there. :D

Sounds like the back problem will need to be monitored, but little could be done other than pain relief in the long term, but not had any experience with it.

Maye hugo's there could shed some light. But it looks like Jane has her hands full with 3 sick bunnies tonigh :(

Sounds like you have a very knowledgable rabbit vet.

Teeth prospects look good and the hay is probably what is causing the runny nose, as it will be aggravating the nerves there. :D

Sounds like the back problem will need to be monitored, but little could be done other than pain relief in the long term, but not had any experience with it.

Maye hugo's there could shed some light. But it looks like Jane has her hands full with 3 sick bunnies tonigh :(

Been treating Lily for Snuffles for 3 months!!!!!!!!!!!

:roll:I think hay up her nose would be something that not many vets would think of, let alone be able to examine for whilst concious. I guess she was just lucky that she was under anesthetic and the vet was rooting around in that area.

the hay would have caused the runny nose [have experience with a child with a constant runny nose and a piece of sponge-dont ask :roll:].wouldnt like to comment on the kyphosis tough as I've no experience but wishing you all the best!

We have got and have had a number of buns with this condition :)

What would you like to know :wave:

Whats the prognosis?? My vet seems to think she will be ok.What do I look for?? Is it harmful?? Will she have a decent quality of life????

Whats the prognosis?? My vet seems to think she will be ok.What do I look for?? Is it harmful?? Will she have a decent quality of life????

With the bunnies we had the curvature of the spine was just one of many problems they had so their prognosis for a long life was not great. But on its own I guess it wouldn't be such a problem, although how these things progress is very individual.

All except one of our bunnies was on long term metacam. Does she manage to move around Ok and can she keep herself clean?

I would keep an eye out for signs of pain, and get used to how it feels now, so you can pick up on things more easily if they do deteriorate. Watch how she walks regularly and look out for any slight changes, including sore hocks as these may indicate she is walking differently and there is a different distribution on weight.

Also make sure she is clean underneath in summer months as she may be prone to flystrike.

I am not sure how old she is, sorry. If she is young and still growing then there is a chance it may get worse as she gets bigger and if she is older it may get worse due to arthritis.

Like I say on its own there may not be too much to worry about at the moment, just be vigilant to subtle changes and pain :)

She will be one yr old this week....she can stand on her hind legs and wash....she keeps herself clean to a very good degree....she isnt incontinent of faeces or urine.....she goes in a litter tray...she hops about normally.....no sign of pain.I keep her spotlessly clean anyway.....have no metacam but will discuss this with my vet.
Im frightened for her.

She is still a young bun but also probably fully grown so thats good :)

Freddy had a severe curvature of the spine along with many other problems and he lived to 2 years :)

In reality I expect her life expectancy will be shortened by this problem to some extent, but that doesn't necessarily mean you wont have several years together. It just depends on how it affects the rest of her body if it progresses.

It says about euthanasia.............:cry::cry:

...being the sensible option :D We all know on here that sensible options are no option at all, until buns quality of life in inpaired. If sensible options were an option CB wouldn't be here, or living inside with me :) and putting on weight :)

I think you need to discuss pain relief, and as Liz says, figure out what is 'normal' for your bun, and how far you are willing to fight with her. That is what I have done in my head, but everyone is different

Back