• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

importance of vaccinations

tickles

Mama Doe
Been worried about writting this as i know and quite rightly i will be flamed.
I have had lots of family prbs lately will not go into it as its personal and i have also had some problems with the children and their autism issues.During this time i forgot to vaccinate my rabbits against VHD.Sadly two of my rabbits died yesterday a over 8yr and a over 4yr (they belong in seperate hutches and not near each other).Panic set in immediatly and first thought was to get in contact with 2 people from the forum and ask advice.I also becan to think it was VHD as niether rabbit suffered symptoms and had been fine all weekend then suddenly died rather quickly.I rang the vet after taking adivice and arranged immediate postmortum for the deceased and VHD vaccines for the rest of the rabbits.We have spent an agonizing 24hrs blaming ourselves which it is our fault we forgot and saying we will never rehome another rabbit again and how bad we are as animal owners for forgetting this important vaccine.
The vet as now left a message saying he as not found any evidence of VHD and no other infectious illnesses but he will go thru the results tomorrow with us.He also reienforced the fact my other rabbits are not at risk.
This is why i thought it was important to emphasize the need for the VHD VACCINE.PLEASE please please never forget or decide not to get it done as it is not worth the risk.It honestly isnt :oops::(.
Our lesson is well and truly learnt and im sorry we let out rabbits down.

I'm so sorry for your loss:cry:. At least you have managed to keep the other buns safe.

Thank you for posting this, it was very brave of you but such an important point to make. :)

I am so sorry for the loss of your bunnies and I agree it is very brave of you to put this on.

I hope you find more information from the PM at the vets tomorrow.

x

So sorry for the loss of your buns :( But well done for posting it as it could very well save other buns whose owners were not aware of the risks.

I know it's so easy to blame yourself but please don't dwell on it too much, no one is perfect, we all forget things from time to time.

i dont class it as brave i class what i did as stupid and unforgetable.If ONE person reads this and gets the vaccine done then my hard lesson as been worth it.

Dont beat yourself up about this Tina.You are a good bunny mummy & whatever happened was out of your control.Big hugs to you.:(

i dont class it as brave i class what i did as stupid and unforgetable.

When I was younger I had a hamster that I killed from not feeding it, I still feel horrible about it and think about it lots. I have nothing like your excuse.

You are human and it sounds as though you are having a bad enough time without this.

I guess we all have to learn from our mistakes, its clear you love your rabbits very much so try not to beat yourself up. Very sorry you lost two of your buns x

Back