• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Holiday. Will my bunnies be ok with their sitter??

LilOBun

Young Bun
I am going away tomorrow until Sunday. It has been lovely the last two days staying at home all day with the buns running around all day. I'm looking at Craigy hopping around my feet and honking and scatting around the garden and i'm thinking i'm so going to miss them while i'm away :cry:

I have got a friend coming round to bunny sit and house sit but i'm now starting to worry about how they will all be. She is not used to bunnies and I have asked her just to feed and cover / uncover while I am away. I hate the thought that she might chase after them to put them back in or try to pick them up and worry them unnecessarily. I have read stories about inexperienced people ruining bunnies and I would hate for our little routine to be ruined. Am I being a bit paranoid / overprotective?? Or am I right to spare them by asking her not to let them out for the 5 days?? They have been out all hours of daylight for the last two days and I am off all of the following week where they will be out for as long as weather will permit.

I think we are all a little bit paranoid about our babies.

I wept for hours when I dropped Biscuit off at boarding :cry: they looked at me like I was crazy.

I think you are right to ask her not to let them out, as she may think it is OK to pick them up in the wrong way and if they are hurt by it, she doesn't know them well enough to know the signs.

They will be absolutely fine for just one week and then when you get back they will be so happy to see you :love:

Your bunnies will be fine!! 2 years ago we left ours with my oldest son when we went on holiday,the only thing was when we got home the buns were ready for tea and to go in for the night at 4pm!! and this was in the summer :shock: I also phoned every day to check that all was well.

I will be showing her what food to give and when and how to make their covers secure and what to do if they accidentally get out. (Craigy will try, he gets very excited at breakfast and dinner time!!) I just worry all the more because poor Craigy and Reg have had a difficult start in life and we have developed ways that suit both of us without distress (sounds a bit daft I know!!) I know she will take care of them while she is here but I'm not sure she has the same level of patience with them that I do? I will worry less if I know that she is feeding them and keeping them warm and watered without any potential stress.

I would be really precise about veg i.e. one leaf of this or that, so she doesnt give too much and they become ill. That would be my only concern. I think you are wise to not let them free range with someone who is inexperienced. Its a short period of time.

Thanks for all your reassurances. I'm sure i'll have a lovely holiday, but i'll look forward even more to coming back and cuddling my bunnies!!! :wave:

Back