• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Jimby has eaten something he shouldnt have. Am worried- POO PICTURES

rachylou

Warren Veteran
I am really worried about Jims as most of you know he has a very delicate tummy, he has only gone and eaten one of the rubber ear thingys that you slip on to the ear insert of head phones! I was not quick enough and before I knew it he had it in his mouth and was gobbling it up, will he be ok?
He is on CATALAX 1 inch per week and I have also given him x4 Treat ums hair ball remidies.

Pictures below:

Mobilepictures033-1.jpg

Mobilepictures034-1.jpg

Mobilepictures035-1.jpg

Mobilepictures042-1-1.jpg

Mobilepictures036-1-1.jpg

Mobilepictures037-1-1.jpg

Mobilepictures038-1-1.jpg

Mobilepictures040-1.jpg

Mobilepictures041-1.jpg

Last edited:
I'm sorry you've waited so long for a reply.
1st. don't blame yourself, bunnies with iffy tummies are masters of scoffing things they shouldn't!
a) It won't poison him.
b) The problem is, whether he's actually eaten it - (he'd have to chew it & could have spat it out somewhere) or if he has eaten it it'll have to go all the way through.

Is his tummy behaving OK these days, or is it a bit slow?

a)I'd put him on a hay only diet to encourage gut movement.

b)Phone the vet who knows him when surgery opens (unless there are signs of a blockage earlier which would mean an emergency vet.)

c)I'd brush both him & partner buns he may groom, 2-3 times daily to reduce fur input into his gut.

d)Monitor his poop output closely- he's got to keep pooping - & watch for bloat (tummy blowing up with gas)
I've a "tummy bunny" so I'm a bit "poop fixated". Personally I'd be checking his poops for the rubber to come through - having said that it's easy to miss the few poops with the foreign material in them, but if you do find them you can breath a sigh of relief.

Although by far the majority of bunnies, pass these things without any problems - we do have to be extra vigilant until they do so.

Everything crossed for good gut movement. Please keep us updated.:wave:

My kermit once ate loads from a shower mat!!
He passed it through ok, could see wee white speckles of plastic in his poo!!
Hope your bun does the same. x

He seems fine this morning, has eaten his breakfast alright and I am yet to do a poo check, will perform one shortly.

He did definitly gobble it up,
What if I do not find it in his poop?
Is it possible that it is so tiny that it wont be seen?

Yes it's very possible you won't see it - it's dark too. When mine eats red carpet I don't see it. It's just nice for us to know it's come through.

It's sounding good & you are doing great.
It's good to hear you're not alone - other buns eat what they shouldn't & come through it just fine.

Thank you for your support. :)
I have done a poo check, will post some pics in a bit.
He did 140 poops over night, I counted :oops:18 of them were oddly shapped and some a little small for my liking but I think considering the amount he did 18 is not many.
I am going to take a sample in to the vet and ask them what they think and will aslo take the remaining rubber ear thing in so they can see what he has eaten.

Yes it's good to get him examined, & so encouraging that your vet looks at his poops.
140 over night is a reasonable output.
Yes, please post a photograph of his poops.

Do you why Jimbo has GI problems? eg teeth, mild dysbiosis.
Does he drink well?

I gather that the standard time to "pass through" (transit time) is 22 hours
We get it down to 17 hours on a high fiber diet, but it can increase to 72 hours when Thumper's really slow with dysbiosis.

Took the odd shapped poos and the small poos in to the vet, spoke to the nurse and showed her the rubber thing, she said that she would not worry, that to her the poos I was concerend about are normal.

IMG0047A-1.jpg

IMG0049A.jpg

IMG0050A.jpg

Yes, they are "normal". It's what happens when the fur goes through, - that causes the little "tail" on them & makes them a bit bigger & odd shape.

He's got nice poops, & is separating waste from caecotroph material well, because they're a paler "brown" colour, so his lower gut is working nicely.
I think that you can stop worrying, my guess is that it will all come through. :) But please keep an eye on things a bit longer won't you?
Please let us know how he gets on.

[You can all have a laugh. I'm convinced that my 1st.vet thought I had a a "fixation" about rabbit pooh & had some form of mental illness :oops::lol:]

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo the first ones on the first page!!!:lol:

:oops: :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
Bloomin' heck I've NEVER seen rabbit poo that's doughnut shaped!!

ETA Mebbe Jimbi thought it was an artistic conti caecotroph :?

Last edited:
I thought that was a pic of his poo! :oops::oops:

:lol::lol: If he can poop polo shapes then he's an amazing bunny!!

Seriously his poops look find to me and nothing to worry about. My Rosie eats all sorts of stuff. No matter how much you try to stop her. She loves shoes and handbags!

Back