• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Gummy Bunny

lottielouise

Wise Old Thumper
And not the one I thought I would post about either.

I have been concerned about Frankie's teeth since I got him. His bottom jaw overlaps the top slightly. We were at the vets 2 weeks ago for myxi and she said they were fine, and 2 weeks before then, again fine.

I have since changed vets as they were rubbish with Cherry Blossom's back teeth.

I have been away over the weekend, and went to check on the buns. I religiously check front teeth, eyes and bums.

Anyway, it seems as though only part of the bottom teeth are grinding away. the peg teeth are fine, but only half of the bottom teeth, so leaving a fine whisp a mm ot two thin.

It does seem, from my point of view, that it will be another bun with an ongoing condition, and as with Cherry, I would hate to be running him back and forth to the vets, as again he is very wary of us humans and a wreck when travelling.

Any advice on gummy bunnies, ups and downs.

I am so glad I have him insured Couldn't handle 2 teeth prone bunnies with no insurance

If he has malocllusion, i would opt for incisor removal as this will be much less stressful in the long term.

What I am wondering about is life after, other than small pieces of veg and self grooming, which is all I seem to have read around.

He is part of a trio, so I think that will help with some aspects of grooming. I am currently taking him out to eat his veg and pellets, as I know with Cherry, she eats slowly. I have seen him eating veg pellets and hay, with gusto, so I don't think it is affecting him just yet, but know in the next couple of weeks that it could come a 'real' problem requiring teatment.

What I want to do is know as much as possible, to make a fully informed decision regarding his future care and needs, when the time comes.

But I know the stress will not be good for him in the long term, neither would GA, and he is such a tiny bunny too. All this points me to one or two ops, which will benefit his whole life, rather than it being one revolving around vets and dentals :(

I have to say that for us Arthur who is our gummy bunny has never looked back since having his front teeth removed :) Yes it's a big op, but one that most bunnies can cope with (if in good health normally) & that they adapt with very quickly :)

Arthur copes remarkably well & munches his pellets like a good un! Just as if he had his front teeth. His back teeth thankfully are good & have caused him no problems since having his teeth out in January this year. Sometimes some incisors can grow back & it may be necessary to have them removed again. One of Arthur's is starting to grow back, but is growing so slowly it isn't causing him any problems at the moment - in time in might need to have it removed again.

For Arthur it would have meant having to have his front teeth clipped every two weeks - which I felt would be more stressful for him to cope with, than having his teeth removed.

ETA - I forgot to say that I don't even have to grate his veg for him either - I just chop it slightly smaller than I do for the rest of the buns. He also manages ok with hay, though I know not all gummy bunnies manage hay so well after - unless it's cut into small pieces.

It is something that has concerned me since he came to me in September, as it looks like his bottom jaw is a funny shame and misalined, He looks like a phirana.

however his teeth are noly now seeming to be becoming a problem.

Because of that I know it is going to be a long term problem, rather than a knock to his mouth/nose that has done this.

Well Grim's front teeth were removed due to abscesses but he's never been happier. For me it really has just been a case of chopping his food up into small pieces and he eats excell pellets with no problems at all. I started to clip his fur with dog clippers to help him groom but he suddenly became very scared of them half way through a clip. I think I must have caught his skin, I felt so bad, so I will never do that again, just in case. But he's been fine apart from once...

He stood on an apple sticker and got it stuck to the bottom of his back foot. And as he had no teeth couldn't get it off. :lol:
It annoyed everyone so much and although he doesn't mind his feet being touched he drew the line at having a sticker pulled off. But every time he flopped down (which is a lot) one more of my friends would notice and after two weeks I had about five people following him around trying to get it off...

Eventually it just fell off. :D

Back