• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

hello im new

carolxcx

New Kit
Hello, and thanks for letting me join theis forum. My name is carol and i have 4 children, and a hubby.
2 Havanese (dogs) 1 springer spanial, 2 cats, 2 guinea pigs.
My little girl would really love a rabbit for christmas, she is responsable and loves all the animals we have.
I have done lots of research and have decided that the mini lop, or the lion head would be suitable, i didnt want anything that grew too big, as it would be living in her room, being allowed to go outside for exercise. (all my animals sleep indoors)
Do any of you on here know of any good breeders, i really want to get the best for her, health wise and dont fancy getting a rabbit who breeds for profit, ie farmer.:censored:

Hi and welcome! :wave:

Have you considered getting a rescue bun?

Loads of people on here work in or run rescues - I'm sure someone will be able to advise what's available in your area. :)

Hello and welcome :wave:

You will get a lot of good advice on here.

A couple of things I hope you don't mind me mentioning -

- rabbits are happier in pairs (usually mixed-sex) - you can get bonded pairs from rescues or they can bond single rabbits for you

- especially at this time of the year the difference in temperature between inside and out is a bit too much. The outdoor rabs have grown a lovely winter coat by now that the indoor ones don't have. They tend to be in or out (someone will have more info on this as we only have had outdoor buns)

:)

hello and thanks for your replys, i had considered rescue bunnys. But as my daughter is only six i thought it would be nice for them to grow together, and would really want one that liked to be handled alot. Plus i wanted pure breed so that i could determin the size it would grow and that the temprement was good.
I couldnt have 2 rabbits, as the hutch i have for her room doesnt seem big enough to house 2. It would get loads of attention so dont for a minute think it will ever feel lonely.

:wave: Hi, I can see what your saying but, are you sure that a rabbit is the best choice of pet for a six year old? Please don't take this the wrong way but, at the moment the emphasis is all about making your daughter happy rather than the animal's happiness. Rabbits even if they are handled from birth do not like to be picked up and if you drop them or can't hold them properly they can injure themselves or your child (sharp nails). I would say that by 5 months old most rabbits don't want to be picked up and I am not convinced that living in a six year olds room is the best scenario for either of them. Will the bun get outside to run around - how big is the hutch for the room as you do realise that it will need unlimited hay? My feeling is that your daughter would have as much enjoyment from a couple of gerbils/hamsters and then at least when she is not around they aren't going to get bored as they will have each other. Ultimately you will do what you think is right, please don't take what I have said in any other way than thinking of the rabbit and your daughter and their ultimate happiness.

:roll:right ok then. Thanks

:cry: she doesnt live alone she has 2 sisters 1 brother a mum and a dad, and she is a very capbable carer for all the pets we have.

thanks anyway

:cry: she doesnt live alone she has 2 sisters 1 brother a mum and a dad, and she is a very capbable carer for all the pets we have.

thanks anyway

:wave: Hi I am not disputing that at all Carol as I can't I have never met your daughter, I was just thinking that at 6 years old - they want something one day and change their mind the day after. You need to do what you think is right, would you be happy if you were a bunny living in a six year old's bedroom? You also said you wanted a pet that she could handle, most if not all buns don't like being handled when they are a bit older, just offering an alternative suggestion for a suitable pet. Why don't you at least go to a rescue and have a chat and let your daughter handle one? Then you might go for it or have a re-think? Best of luck with what you decide x

Welcome to RU:wave:

If you insist on a pure breed you can actually get pure bred bunnies from Rescues. If you buy from a breeder you're just making space for the breeder to fill once again with more bunnies. Also if you get from a rescue, you'll actually be told about the bunnies personality as most rabbits in rescues have been there a long time and the volunteers there will happily inform you of a bunnies character:wave:. Bunnies are also regularly handled in Rescues; so it shouldn't be hard to find one who likes being held,a dn they come in all ages and sizes! You can get a young bun if thats what you require.

There are approximately 33,000 bunnies looking for homes sat in Rescues! :(
Another positive of getting a bun from a rescue is that they become ready neutered and vaccinated! You could even get a ready bonded pair of bunnies (rabbits live much better in pairs- as they are very social creatures) but only if you were willing to purchase new hutches for the bunnies.

I hope you find all you need to know here.:wave:

I apologise if my post offends you in any way. That's not its intention.:)

i currently have two rabbits live with me that were originally bought for 6 year olds - two seperate families.

In both cases the rabbits concerned got to the age of about 5 months and then developed the 'typically' puberty bun syndromes of struggling, spraying, nipping, humping, eating wiring, clothes, shoes etc etc etc etc.

Despite being bred as small they were by then far too powerful for a six year old to hold when they struggled. The buns also got very frustrated as they could not have the areas they needed to run around madly in.

The families concerned (seperately)realised that buns were not after all suitable for their children - and tried to get the buns into a rescue. Of course they were all full - and in the end I took the buns in to save them .

And just to add - Buns live for 10 years - will your daughter still want one when she is 10, 12, or 16 years old?

i currently have two rabbits live with me that were originally bought for 6 year olds - two seperate families.

In both cases the rabbits concerned got to the age of about 5 months and then developed the 'typically' puberty bun syndromes of struggling, spraying, nipping, humping, eating wiring, clothes, shoes etc etc etc etc.

Despite being bred as small they were by then far too powerful for a six year old to hold when they struggled. The buns also got very frustrated as they could not have the areas they needed to run around madly in.

The families concerned (seperately)realised that buns were not after all suitable for their children - and tried to get the buns into a rescue. Of course they were all full - and in the end I took the buns in to save them .

And just to add - Buns live for 10 years - will your daughter still want one when she is 10, 12, or 16 years old?

Very good post.

Hi Carol :wave:

My bunny is a lone house bunny with her own room, but she can be quite stinky and I for one wouldn't want to share a bedroom with her.

My bunny's room is completely bunny proof, but in your daughter's room, there will be shoes, bed, leads etc to chew.

I agree with what others have said. A bunny is not a cuddly animal, mine hates to be picked up, i think your daughter would be really disappointed, stick with guinea pigs.

RABBITS AND CHILDREN
Rabbits can make good family pets if parents respect the needs of the rabbit and the limitations of the children. Adults need to accept all the responsibility of caring for the rabbit. Please do not buy a rabbit solely as a child's pet.

■ Small children with rabbits need supervision. Rabbits are rarely cuddly!

■ Rabbits can scratch and bite if harassed. They do not like to be picked up and can easily injure their backs if they fall or are dropped

■ Children may not have the patience necessary to establish a relationship with a rabbit

It's a good idea to choose a large breed of rabbit if you have young children as they are generally quieter, sturdier and too large to be picked up. Children don't pick up the family dog and they should learn to respect the rabbit in the same way.

Rabbits are active!
They need plenty of space, a spacious run outdoors or freedom to run around the house for several hours every day. Cages should be burrows to rest in, not prisons!

Rabbits are sociable!
Wild rabbits live in colonies, never on their own. Your pet will need plenty of company either from you, a bunny companion or preferably both.

Rabbits are someone else's dinner!
Preyed upon by many other species, rabbits are naturally shy, quiet animals who hate being held above ground level. Gaining the trust of a rabbit takes time and effort.

"TILL DEATH US DO PART"
The average life span of a rabbit is 7-10 years. You are taking on your pet for around a decade. If the rabbit is for the children‚ they may be gone before the bunny!

Some useful leaflets below:
http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/leaflet_pdfs/iarfm_feb_06.pdf
http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/info-sheets/think.htm
http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/info-sheets/one_more.htm
http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/info-sheets/cages.htm

Last edited:

thanks anyway

This is all good advice no one is being rude :? , its clear you want to do the best by your animals so its just something for you to think about.

I had buns when i was younger but not in my bedroom! They arent easy to handle for children especially when they hit the 'teenage' stage. If i were you id go to a rescue and find a bun thats an adult, has been neutered and is easy to handle so at least you know you are homing a bunny that your daughter can handle and stroke.

Having bun grow up with your daughter is a lovely thought but their hormones usually kick in at 12 weeks so its a quick jump to adulthood really! There are so many buns sat in rescues through no fault of their own that would love a nice home. :)

One more thing, rabbits are most active at night and in the early hours, thumping feet, digging and chewing and racing around, no good if you want a good night's sleep.

Hi there. :wave: You are so welcome on this forum. I hope you'll stay with us.
Bunnies are amazing creatures, each with it's very individual personality, as you will soon find as you read our posts. They are remarkably intelligent, but still have the instinctive behaviour of their wild ancestors. They need the space to express this.
We all love our bunnies to pieces - goodness they can turn us grey when they're poorly. It's a bit like having a 3yr old child in the family, with outbreaks of the "terrible 2's" at times, both an absolute joy and a considerable commitment if both people & bunny are going to enjoy the experience.

Hi Carol!

Just thought I'd add my input whilst I'm here! :lol:

I do kind of think everyone's already made quite a lot of valid points, bunnies aren't ideal for children. I don't think anyone's mentioned yet about the noise your young daughter could make scaring bunny though. I have 9 nieces and I know how much noise they make! LOL! I don't let them in my shed as I worry they'll terrifly my pets. Bunny's are very quiet and nervy by nature and sudden frights can kill them.

Little children do get bored of animals very quickly too. One of my sisters bought her children two rabbits and they got bored of them literally within a week. My sister is a lazy :censored: too and can't be bothered to even feed them most days. Often I make an 8 mile trip just to make sure they have clean bedding (I have actually taken them home with me before but my parents just gave them back to her when I went out for the day :evil: ). I'm not saying this will happen to your bun, I just wanted to point out the worst case senario. Although I do kind of wonder if your daughter is tiring of the pets you already have and that is why she wants a new rabbit?!

Having said all that though.... I got my first bunny when I was 12 (young, but still much older and a bit more responsible than your daughter) and I never got bored of my rabbit, and I'm still not bored of them today, so it is possible for children to develop and adore their pets. :D

If you really are set on getting a rabbit, get a larger breed. I've kept many buns and it seems the bigger they've been, the more gentle and laid back they seem to have been too. Also, house bunnies are little ******* for getting under your feet! You'd be less likely to stand on a bigger rabbit purely because you'll be able to see where it is. If you can't get a pair, get a male bunny as they are often a million times friendlier than females (females are very hormonal and therefore less likely to tolerate little hands!) and seem to enjoy human contact more. You will absolutley need to get him neutered if you keep him indoors though as he will scent mark and spray and leave territorial bunny poo mountains everywhere otherwise. You will also need to bunny proof all the areas of the house that your rabbit will be let out in. Another of my sisters has a house bunny and he has scratched up the carpet, chewed through chair legs and had a nibble on countless cables! Luckily, he's very much loved and spoilt so he gets away with it! :lol:

Lastly, there are some lovely bunnies in rehoming centres. Ironically, the majority that you'll find have either been dumped or handed in as small children's unwanted pets. Getting a full grown bun is a good idea as you will have no doubt about the size it will grow to, if it has teeth problems, what it's personality is like and also, it eliminates the main problem with keeping your daughter interested.... it won't suddenly become less interesting when it stops being a cute fluffy baby.

If you do decide to get a bunny then best of luck and pop back and let us know how you get on! :wave:

The others have covered everything so just one thing to add- small bunnies are often harder to handle than larger ones as they are able to wriggle out of your hands and kick more.

Back