• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

They are ready to be bonded and I'm scared!!! Help!

louise.storrar

Warren Scout
Ok so I have a male/female bonded pair they are 2 and a half. My wee one is 6 months old. His neuter was almost 7 weeks ago.

It's time for the bonding process to start but I'm so scared!

I introduced them before his neuter as suggested by my vet :shock::shock::shock: big mistake.

Fur flying everywhere between the 2 boys. (my other two have been fixed too)

I know it's been more than 9 weeks since I first tried to introduce them and the hormones should have gone from the younger one now. But I am so scared they start fighting and hurt each other!

The female didn't seem bothered either way the first time...but in saying that...they didn't get long enough together to even have a problem before i scooped the little one up and popped him back.

Help! I need encouragement! lol :?

:wave: Awww are they the ones in pens near each other and the little fella who won't settle?

They are in pens near each other. The little one is the one that picked the fight before the op! Both boys chase each other up and down their adjacent runs. I can't tell if it's excitement...or LET ME AT 'IM!!!

Again the female...isn't bothered lol

I don't know what to do!! My heart is racing thinking about it!!

:wave: Tricky then, they will sense that on you :shock: Firstly you have to be calm and confident and have a plan! :lol: There are lots of different opinions on the best way to do it and I must be honest I haven't bonded two adult rabbits and un-intentionally ended up with a bonded adult and baby boy. They were only allowed out together in the garden for a run around supervised a couple of times but, didn't have any problems in terms of aggression. I am probably not experienced enough to advise you but, hopefully some others will come along and tell you the best way forward, what I will say is that if it's not possible for whatever reason to follow the advice directly adapt it as best you can as there are people on here who have 'been there, seen it, done it'. I have got to do this myself in the near future once my little male and newbie female are spayed - won't be till the new year for me but, I am hoping I don't see any aggression and I can imagine how nervous you must feel. I think the general opinion is for them to be moved to a completely different and neutral area - no belongings of any of them - just neutral - quite a small area and nothing that can be deemed a territorial thing ie, food, toys etc. It's hard to stay calm but, there needs to be a little bit of bunny banter to determine who is boss etc but, if it's proper nasty you need to intervene - I know some use water sprayers - personally I think I would whistle or bang a saucepan? Have you swapped them into each others living area's to become familiar with smells etc?

Yes I've been doing that every other day. When the adult male goes back in his own living area he runs up and down and round both levels as if he is looking for him. lol very worrying!

I don't want to split up my bonded pair...they are so in love. Why did I do this to myself? lol

Why can't they all just love each other like I love them? lol

SHould I separate if there is fur flying, or leave them to it. They were like locked onto each other last time.:?

:shock: Don't like the sound of that to be honest! I think you might be better getting some outside help - sounds dramatic but, there are a lot of people on here who can probably either help you at home or you take the buns to the rescue and they will do the bonding for a donation. At the very least it would be worth asking another experienced member to come and help you out. I do remember hearing that bonding 3 can be tricky as the other 2 have already formed a bond - '2's company three is a crowd'? Is there no-way you could get a little spayed female and have 2 pairs and then maybe try a group bond later? I think that seems more balanced. Sorry I am not being much help I just don't want to tell you the wrong thing... hopefully some others will come and advise... It is tricky - I can imagine how you feel and I know it has been done are the 2 males the same breed/size?

They are in pens near each other. The little one is the one that picked the fight before the op! Both boys chase each other up and down their adjacent runs. I can't tell if it's excitement...or LET ME AT 'IM!!!

Again the female...isn't bothered lol

I don't know what to do!! My heart is racing thinking about it!!

Behaviour from buns being adjacent to each other can never be worked out by observing. Rabbits can be lying next to each other by a barrier but can be very different if they are placed in the same run.

There is only one way and that is to bond them together on neutral territory.

If you are nervous get someone else to help you.

Behaviour from buns being adjacent to each other can never be worked out by observing. Rabbits can be lying next to each other by a barrier but can be very different if they are placed in the same run.

There is only one way and that is to bond them together on neutral territory.

If you are nervous get someone else to help you.

:lol::lol::lol: Well that's more concise than my wishy washy advice :lol::lol: Good advice, hope you will be alright, let us know how it goes - best of luck x

Back