• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit died, other one alone....again

munrojock

Young Bun
Hi all,

Well, the replacement rabbit seems to have succumbed to something untoward and as I have found out died very suddenly!! This again leaves the original fella all on his own and we're now torn between a number of options! My other half has suggested moving the other on indoors but is this feesable<sp> with a 3 year old rabbit who's spent his entire life outside?

Any replies appreciated,

Harris

Hi all,

Well, the replacement rabbit seems to have succumbed to something untoward and as I have found out died very suddenly!! This again leaves the original fella all on his own and we're now torn between a number of options! My other half has suggested moving the other on indoors but is this feesable<sp> with a 3 year old rabbit who's spent his entire life outside?

Any replies appreciated,

Harris

Sorry to hear about your bun. Id find out how your opther bun died. Were they both vaccinated? Was eating etc ok? Its not a good idea to move a bun indoors at this time of year, they already have their winter coat and overheat easily.

The one that died was 'different' for the last week, staying in the hutch more than usual (Not raining) and not happy to explore the garden like usual with Snowie. May have been a little 'bonier' but then again who knows for sure, and was up to date with the Vets. Actually, they're , or they were, going for their VHD thingy next week!

Now to decide whether to go through the joys of introducing a new rabbit or.... well, whatever else we decide! Oh, and as usual, they're the kids rabbits!

Thanks,

Harris

Sorry to hear about your bun. Id find out how your opther bun died. Were they both vaccinated? Was eating etc ok? Its not a good idea to move a bun indoors at this time of year, they already have their winter coat and overheat easily.

The one that died was 'different' for the last week, staying in the hutch more than usual (Not raining) and not happy to explore the garden like usual with Snowie. May have been a little 'bonier' but then again who knows for sure, and was up to date with the Vets. Actually, they're , or they were, going for their VHD thingy next week!

Now to decide whether to go through the joys of introducing a new rabbit or.... well, whatever else we decide! Oh, and as usual, they're the kids rabbits!

Thanks,

Harris

Have you considered rehoming? Rabbits don't make the best pets for kids and it seems like you're not too keen on rebonding x

How old are your kids?

If you dont want to bond now, I would bring him indoors. He probably has his winter coat ( I think, not positive though. ) so whereever he is will need a window open to keep it roughly the same temperature for awhile so its not a sudden change.
This way, he will have more interaction with the family and another bun isnt as so important.

However, in the long run I would say that you need to rebond him. :)

Loopy,

I hear what you're saying and after his brother died, introducing Jess resulted in a lot of biting and chasing by Snowie. I probably did it wrong but they did bond. Took time though but maybe it's worth it, though finding a female isn't easy as you probably know.

Rehoming? I doubt the kids would go for it!

Thanks,

Harris

Have you considered rehoming? Rabbits don't make the best pets for kids and it seems like you're not too keen on rebonding x

I would bring him indoors but the rescue cat may not like the competition, seeing as Snowie bites any cat entering 'HIS' garden! Good idea on leaving windows open though the kids thermally challenged Mother may disapprove!

But yeh, it's looking more and more like a hunt for a pal is on the cards!!

Will need to check the garden though, there must be something out there that's not good for them!!

Harris

How old are your kids?

If you dont want to bond now, I would bring him indoors. He probably has his winter coat ( I think, not positive though. ) so whereever he is will need a window open to keep it roughly the same temperature for awhile so its not a sudden change.
This way, he will have more interaction with the family and another bun isnt as so important.

However, in the long run I would say that you need to rebond him. :)

I don't know anyone personally, but I've heard that some rehoming centres will take your bun for a week or so, bond it with a new bun and then give them back. This would probably be the best option for you guys. I really do think buns need one of their own kind to 'talk' to, snuggle up with and groom.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Hoppit,

It's a nice idea but dunno how that would work. As soon as they got back here, the original rabbit would go bananas again to establish the natural order and all that. Will search around a bit see how that pans out.

Harris

I don't know anyone personally, but I've heard that some rehoming centres will take your bun for a week or so, bond it with a new bun and then give them back. This would probably be the best option for you guys. I really do think buns need one of their own kind to 'talk' to, snuggle up with and groom.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Hoppit,

It's a nice idea but dunno how that would work. As soon as they got back here, the original rabbit would go bananas again to establish the natural order and all that. Will search around a bit see how that pans out.

Harris

no, they would be bonded and there shouldn't be a problem as long as the hutch had been cleaned well and didn't have too much of the original bunnies scent.
My Phoebe has had 3 partners now and her last friend died not long ago. I am getting her another friend soon. I shall bond them in neutral territory (the shed) and when they seem happy living together shall put them back into her hutch.

Sorry for your sad loss - I could not bear to leave my bun outside after losing a partner - I would have to bring bun in until I got a new partner x x x

Estelle,

Hmmm, Sorry to pick your brains but a couple of questions....

So if I put them together in the kids playhouse, 'disinfected' their hutch and run and then check the fur in the playhouse again? Does this usually, the bonding, take a while and do they need to live in the 'neutral' playhouse for a while? In the past, I've let one and then the other out into the rabbit proofed garden, split the run and hutch so they can see each other but Snowie doesn't get the chance to eat the other one!! I assume I have to let a bit of fur tugging go on, I think I stepped in a bit fast in the past.

Okay, perhaps a visit to the SSPCA either here in Edinburgh or down in the Borders is in order.

Thanks in advance Estelle,

Harris

no, they would be bonded and there shouldn't be a problem as long as the hutch had been cleaned well and didn't have too much of the original bunnies scent.
My Phoebe has had 3 partners now and her last friend died not long ago. I am getting her another friend soon. I shall bond them in neutral territory (the shed) and when they seem happy living together shall put them back into her hutch.

Cat,

The sentiment is appreciated but I doubt the house cat and He would get on too well. Plus, Snowie has NEVER been indoors and I fear the heat of the house would kill him!!

The more I think on it, the more I think we'll get a replacement though need to investigate the garden to see if anything I have in there did for her!

Harris

Sorry for your sad loss - I could not bear to leave my bun outside after losing a partner - I would have to bring bun in until I got a new partner x x x

Cat,

The sentiment is appreciated but I doubt the house cat and He would get on too well. Plus, Snowie has NEVER been indoors and I fear the heat of the house would kill him!!

The more I think on it, the more I think we'll get a replacement though need to investigate the garden to see if anything I have in there did for her!

Harris

My buns are the boss with my cats - its a tricky one aint it.

Good Luck and I hope you consider the rescues when its time to get another bun - good luck hun x x x

Cat,

Yes, already on the SSPCA sites and seeing what females they have in just now.

Just trying to see what peoples experiences with bonding are and see where I went wrong, if anywhere, last time.

Thanks,

Harris

My buns are the boss with my cats - its a tricky one aint it.

Good Luck and I hope you consider the rescues when its time to get another bun - good luck hun x x x

Estelle,

Hmmm, Sorry to pick your brains but a couple of questions....

So if I put them together in the kids playhouse, 'disinfected' their hutch and run and then check the fur in the playhouse again? Does this usually, the bonding, take a while and do they need to live in the 'neutral' playhouse for a while? In the past, I've let one and then the other out into the rabbit proofed garden, split the run and hutch so they can see each other but Snowie doesn't get the chance to eat the other one!! I assume I have to let a bit of fur tugging go on, I think I stepped in a bit fast in the past.

Okay, perhaps a visit to the SSPCA either here in Edinburgh or down in the Borders is in order.

Thanks in advance Estelle,

Harris

what i did last time was put Phoebe in the bathroom (neutral territory) with her new friend Ted. There was a bit of chasing from Ted but Phoebe didn't seem too interested in him. As there was no sign of aggression i left them in there overnight with plenty of food as a distraction.
The next morning they both seemed to be happy in each others company so I put them back into the hutch which had been cleaned and moved onto a new spot on the patio. I watched them closely for the next few days and they gradually started to wash each other and snuggle up.

Not all bondings go quite so well though. The may initially have a scuffle which you can distract them from with a water squirter. If they try to bite each other it's best not to carry on in my opinion.

You should leave them in the playhouse until you feel comfortable that they are tolerating each other well, anytime from 1-5 days roughly.

Estelle,

Thanks for taking the time to write this.

When I did the last bonding, Snowball initially chased Jess and nipped bits of fur out of her bum but no blood or serious injury as such. Water pistol, and I'm talking big water blaster, didn't even have him raising his head so I tended to pile in and grab him off. Yeh, I think leaving them in the playhouse overnight is probably a good idea and I suppose you have to expect a bit of fur flying and the likes. The hutch can't be moved, it's underneath the playhouse which is on stilts, but I'll spray it down with hutch cleaner and see if I can remove as much of the scent as I can. Good ideas though and I'll take them all on board.

Okay, now to choose a new bunny and there aren't that many around!

Thanks again,

Harris
Who is fast discovering that they're HIS rabbits and no longer the kids!!

what i did last time was put Phoebe in the bathroom (neutral territory) with her new friend Ted. There was a bit of chasing from Ted but Phoebe didn't seem too interested in him. As there was no sign of aggression i left them in there overnight with plenty of food as a distraction.
The next morning they both seemed to be happy in each others company so I put them back into the hutch which had been cleaned and moved onto a new spot on the patio. I watched them closely for the next few days and they gradually started to wash each other and snuggle up.

Not all bondings go quite so well though. The may initially have a scuffle which you can distract them from with a water squirter. If they try to bite each other it's best not to carry on in my opinion.

You should leave them in the playhouse until you feel comfortable that they are tolerating each other well, anytime from 1-5 days roughly.

Estelle,

Thanks for taking the time to write this.

When I did the last bonding, Snowball initially chased Jess and nipped bits of fur out of her bum but no blood or serious injury as such. Water pistol, and I'm talking big water blaster, didn't even have him raising his head so I tended to pile in and grab him off. Yeh, I think leaving them in the playhouse overnight is probably a good idea and I suppose you have to expect a bit of fur flying and the likes. The hutch can't be moved, it's underneath the playhouse which is on stilts, but I'll spray it down with hutch cleaner and see if I can remove as much of the scent as I can. Good ideas though and I'll take them all on board.

Okay, now to choose a new bunny and there aren't that many around!

Thanks again,

Harris
Who is fast discovering that they're HIS rabbits and no longer the kids!!

Harris - you will be smitten in no time - since my daughter left home - my buns are my new kids! :lol::lol::lol:

Back