• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What do you put on aviary floors?

bunnylover177

Alpha Buck
I have an aviary which sits directly on the grass with wire on the bottom. I don't like the look of my bunny's feet which are very wet and rather dirty. One of them has a little bald patch. Can you put bark clippings or something on the ground to keep it drier or does that just make a big wet mess? Anyone got any otehr ideas for flooring? I could bring them in to my shed for the winter but it would be a real squeeze.

I used bark chippings for a while, the only problem was that poos got mixed up and I had to replace all of the bark every now and then. At the moment I have grass turf laid on top of my mesh which is good but becomes quite worn in the winter and just becomes mud. It's great in the summer though as it provides tastey free food for them :). Another idea is to just lay some patio stones on top of the mesh, you don't need to cement them in or anything, you can just lay them on top of the mesh and the bunnies will probably love it and it should help keep their nails short :)

Back