• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Not happy!

TINKS30ish

Warren Scout
Ok so i know i am being silly, i have worked in dog rescue for most of my life, but my stomach is in knots today. I took flower-daisy to the vets to be spayed, I was really worried, no sensible reason for it, ( i had rung up before hand to enquire about neutering) So as i am leaving i am told that The price i was quoted was just for people who had brought rabbits from one certain pet shop!!!!!!!!!!!! Well forgive me if i am wrong, but i thought getting a bunny from a breeder was more responsible???? So i have to now pay more money. In the care section i read it should cost "up to £65" for a spay op`. Well i am paying £120!:shock: I could have gone to a cheaper vet, but people here have said that most vets aren`t very rabbit savy and i want the best for flower- daisy. Then they spring out of the blue that she could well have to stay in over night! Flower is my 4yr olds bunny and they are very close:love:, she was beside herself with worry when i told her we were going to get her spayed, I was planning on taking her to play at friends till we could pick flower-daisy up, I know if flower - daisy needs to stay in then thaqts for the best. But i just feel i really should have been better informed by the receptionist.
Sorry but i just needed to get that out!:evil:

Yes, I agree that is a bit naughty springing the price rise on you.

If it is their error than a complaint may mean that you pay the reduced price.

Hope it all goes well.

If you were told a price when you booked and not told of conditions attached then that's the price you should pay. If it only applied in special circumstances they should have asked if you meet them before giving you the price.

I would put your foot down when it comes to paying and only pay the price you were given. It's not down to you to say "by the way I brought my rabbit from xxx/drive a red car/work at tescos" so does that price still apply to me.

Doesn't matter how many ops you've booked it's still nerve wracking! :)

They told you a price and in reliance on that information you booked your rabbit in. Verbal Contract, with no conditions attached. Tell them you have had some legal advice on the matter (I am a solicitor!). You are not obliged to pay more than the price agreed.

I would be inclined to tell them (once they have agreed to the above!) that you think it is extremely irrisponsible for them to support Pet Shops, which in the main do not promote or abide by good rabbit keeping practice.

Grrrrr :censored:

And by the way, I did spaying a couple of weeks back, there may be no sensible reason for it, but it doesn't stop the panic. I was worried sick and slept on the living room floor. :oops:

I had to keep reminding myself that spaying is absolutely the right thing to do, no question.

Well i got a call to say flower -daisy took a long time to wake up and they are keeping her in over night.:( How much do most people pay for a spay?

Well i got a call to say flower -daisy took a long time to wake up and they are keeping her in over night.:( How much do most people pay for a spay?

Jemimah was speyed this Friday just gone, it cost £68.51. (I cannot fault Jemimah's spey at all, the wound is perfect and she's eaten, weed, pooed and drinking :wave:)

My other vet charges £95.00 and do a much worse job :shock: (they did Lola three years ago and made such a mess of my poor baby, she was covered in blood and had glue all over her ears, apparently she pulled the tube out of her ear see:lol:. But the actual wound was horribly done and it got infected.)

Well she came home today!:love: She had to stay in overnight. She looked very sleepy still, the vet said she has eaten, dunk, wee`d and poo`d, but i have only seen her drink out of bowl. I havn`t looked at her wound yet, i didn`t want to bother her too much. They only charged me £95 in the end!:D But i did tell the receptionist`s exactly what i thought of their policy of only givng a discount for one certain pet shop!!

Is the vet surgery called Companion Care? The petshop Pets At Home bought them and now have opened surgeries across the country, mostly in-store but a few seperate ones - Pets At Home will use them themselves, which is probably why they'll offer customers buying rabbits/other pets from them a discount if they use them to have their pet neutered or spayed.

If it was another vet then no idea :lol: They may just have an agreement, which is their own choice, but a bit cheeky not to tell you outright.

No its not that vets, it is Great Western Refurrals and Paradise Pets (pet shop) in Swindon. The pet shop sells reptiles (was the only one in swindon for awhile) and the vets is a specilist vets, also the brother of the owner is a vet and worked in that vets for awhile.

Last edited:
Isn't Marie K at Great Western Referrals? Sounds a bit odd, if there are two rates you'd at least expect to be quoted the normal rate straight off and then told about a discount if your pet came from a certain place :?

With respect to Companion Care - it is a wholly owned subsidiary of PAH and they provide the 'back office' support to the vet surgeries but don't actually own/run the practice...that's done by the vet/s on a sort of franchise agreement, they are each separate companies (Companion Care *x-location* Ltd) with the vet/s as directors. Certainly my local one doesn't do different rates...I paid £60 for Matilda's spay at my local Companion Care last week :)

I can only apologise for the confusion over the pricing, the quote you were given was incorrect and I'm glad it got corrected by the time you collected her. I can't really give specific details as I've not been on clinics this week (night shifts and teaching duties unfortunately) but if you ever have any queries then ring in and speak to one of us - it's usually easier to speak directly to one of the vets and get all the answers you need.
We do work with a local pet shop as they are the largest breeder/seller of bunnies locally so we try and encourage people by offering health checks, vaccines and neutering combined at a reduced price on any bun sold there so that the rabbits they sell are given the correct treatment and care. Surely this is better than saying we don't agree with pet shops and ignore them! (As an aside, Paradise Pets are very devoted to their animals and not your standard breed and sell as quick as possible, hence why we are happy to work with them and not necessarily with some of the less reputable shops). And no they have no business interest/shares in our practice, that could be seen as a conflict of interest.

I agree it is better to encorage people to take good care of their pets, but surely if you are going to encorge better pet ownership, this should be available to all your customers? I would never have thought to ask to speak to a vet over a quiry as to the price of a spay, i honistly would feel that the vets would have more important things to be doing and that the desk staff should know the answer and be able to look it up if not on their PC. I would have been less upset by the mishap if it had been a new member of staff, who didn`t know. I Have to say i have had no problems with the care i have received at GWR and i have been a client there for years, although i didn`t realise they did rabbits as a non - refural.I do think you should be better advertised as to what you do, as alot of peopel think you only do refurals and don`t know you do reptiles or less exotics like rabbits, chickens, ect. Also Paradise pets is very good with it`s rabbits and birds.

Last edited:
Back