• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Desmond not well ?snuffles – advice please

LolasMummy

Mama Doe
Desmond has developed clear discharge from his nose but it is now making his chin and the insides of his front paws light orangey. He is eating but not as much as normal (which is a lot normally). He picks food up then just leaves it BUT does seem interested in the food. He is still going to the toilet but it’s squishy.

We are taking him to the vets but I was wondering if anyone with experience can advise me? It sounds like snuffles to me?

What would you expect the vets to do? Just in case they fob me off would like some advice to go armed with!

I looked on the internet and it suggested Antibiotics for 2-3 weeks, gut stimulant and vitamin c injection? What about Metacam for pain relief / lower temperature (if he has temp)?

In himself he seems ok. Sitting hunched up for bits of the time but still running after the cat and asking for food. He is still eating his treats.

He has had his teeth checked 1 week ago so they are ok I think.

Lola is not showing any symptoms but should she be put on any medication?

Thanks for your help!

Last edited:
Sounds more like a Dental problem to me
I'd make sure the Vet checks his teeth aswell as his Respiratory Tract

Good luck :)

it could be, but i would agree with him having a damp chin and eating less, i would think it could be to do with his teeth.

good luck and let us know how you get on. :wave:

what would be the normal procedure be if it is teeth? What medication should I ask for? Metacam for pain… anything else?

Back